no pressure to rear brake lines on 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

no pressure to rear brake lines on 67

Guys - 67 with stock drums all the way around - I have the two piece front to rear line with the proprotion valve on the frame rail under drivers seat.

Confused. Had a soft pedal to the floor and a leak in my right rear wheeel cylinder. Replaced cyclinder - went to bleed and had no pressure in the line. Helper pumped the brake pedal and I checked if I had pressure in the other side rear and had none there as well. This other side is a relatively new wheel cylinder and I know has been functioning. What could have reacted to my loss of pressure when the wheel cyl leaked and essentially shut down my rear lines? Could that proportion valve under the drivers seat have done this? Master cylinder react in some way...or did my master cylinder suddenly die?

Any thoughts on how to proceed here greatly appreciated....thanks to all my firends here....JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech

Re: no pressure to rear brake lines on 67

It could be a few things I would first check ifyou have presure at the master to the rear lines. Have a freind put preasure on the pedal then crack loose the rear lineat the master. Note : cover everthing up to protect paint well! If you have psi there move further down the line near the valve. Could you have run out or very low on fluid with your leak? It could be the over the axle flexable ruber line aswell, Change it anyway if its original.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Good thoughts...but I forgot one cructial piece of information leading to my confusion. Although I have no pressure in the rear..I have hard pedal! The softness of the pedal that was present when the rear wheel cyl leaked has firmed up....with a strong pedal. I wouldn't think it would be an issue of loosing too much fluid when the original leak started, if I now have hard pedal??? It's as if I have become blocked somewhere from the proportioning vlalve up to the master cylinder.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 10:53 AM
Banned
Ron

First off, I'm wondering what a proportioning valve is doing on a drum brake car?....This valve is only for disc/drum cars.....There should only be a distribution block, located under the master cylinder, on a drum brake car!.....Assuming that all brake lines and hoses are not bent or kinked, I'd probably be looking at a defective master cylinder and that's assuming that the brake pedal pushrod is properly adjusted!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Ron, '67 A/C drum brake cars could have the prop valve. Mine does, although A/C is long gone.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:04 AM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
Ron, '67 A/C drum brake cars could have the prop valve. Mine does, although A/C is long gone.

OK Robert, I wasn't aware he had A/C!....Will you forgive me??
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Sure

Of course I don't know if he has A/C either.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:09 AM
Banned
Ron

Thanks!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I have had many problems trying to bleed rear brakes if fronts had pressure. I think I would first try to gravity bleed it. The other possibility is the proportioning valve might be stuck, if indeed that is a prop valve located only in the rear line. I always thought a proportioning vale worked with the pressure from both lines and when it got too far out of balance it shut off one side.

Jeff
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Guys..Yes I have a 67 AC car...and the valve is part of this setup as it is on 68 and later higher performance setups....if I recall GM engineers evaluated the valve on 67 cars that had AC due to the slightly heavier weight....

I am just wondering if this valve could have failed/clogged....
I guess I'll break the lines loose from the valve tonight and see if I get flow...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jeff...I guess that is the heart of the matter...I don't know how this valve really works internally either, or if ican actually **** down one side. If so, maybe I should bleed the fronts some and the valve will open up...?? grasping at straws here....
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jeff....Gravity bleed? Sorry, not quite sure what a gravity bleed is...??
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:24 AM
Banned
Ron

Gravity bleed is when you crack open a bleeder valve and let gravity take over in the bleeding process but you need to make sure to check the master so that it doesn't run dry of brake fluid!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Your valve has a low pressure warning switch. Most likely when your rear cylinder "leaked" it shut off the rear circuit. You'll need to re-center the valve. You can take it apart to do this or open a front and a rear at the same time and bleed, the valve should re-center(equalize pressure). Did the light on the dash come on?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK..interesting. I know there is a switch at the junction box that is right under the master cylinder..is this what you are talking about? The valve I was referring to is under the drivers seat located on the subframe rail. Does the junction box have the ability to modify pressure....?......I thought it was just a passive junction box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode