Rear shocks - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage
Rear shocks

I am in the process of swapping out my 8.2 mono 10 bolt to the 8.5 multi-leaf 10 bolt. Can I use the shocks I have for the mono leaf setup with the multi leaf setup? They are new and would hate to replace them if I don't ahve to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Rear shocks

Your 67 has both shocks on the same side of the rear axle. Your multi leaf set up is for one shock in front of the rear, and one behind. to make this work, I believe you will need to buy shock plates from DSE or the like. You then, can keep your old shocks.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp...sion6769cf.htm

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 09:06 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Rear shocks

If you are re-using your mono-leaf shock plates you can buy shock extensions and re-use your shocks...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 09:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

The mono shocks attach to the mono shock plates with a bolt while the multi leaf plates use a stud. If you are going with multi shock plates you may have a hard time finding new lower shock mounting studs.

The lower mounting studs are included in the hardware kit with new multi leaf shocks.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

So the best bet may to just buy shocks for the multi-leaf setup. I'm thinking the shock extenders will offest the cost of another pair of shocks, so might as well get what works best.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech
bill

i did same swap in my 67 2 years ago. you dont need shock extenders. use your old bottom plates and your old shocks. you will be fine. i think it is on david pozzis web site also.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
you dont need shock extenders. Use your old bottom plates and your old shocks. You will be fine. I think it is on david pozzis web site also.
x2!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 10:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg67rs View Post
So the best bet may to just buy shocks for the multi-leaf setup. I'm thinking the shock extenders will offest the cost of another pair of shocks, so might as well get what works best.
Shock extenders are about $10 - $20 a pair. You didn't say but if you use lowering springs you can use your existing shocks and shock plates without an extender since the difference in where the multi perch mounts the shock plate is offset by the axle being closer to the upper shock mount. If you use stock height springs the axle doesn't sit any closer to the upper shock mount but the taller spring perch moves the shock plate further down. The extender compensates for the longer shock mount distance and allows the full travel of the shock. We are only talking a bit more than an inch so we may be spliting hairs either way...

...Dennis

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Rear shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Boy View Post
... the multi leaf plates use a stud. If you are going with multi shock plates you may have a hard time finding new lower shock mounting studs.
The mounts are sold at most auto parts stores as a DORMAN/HELP item
Ask for #31001 Shock Mount Hardware
You will need two (2) for your car if you change to the Multi-Leaf plate.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

I just hooked my rear up using the mono leaf plates, summit poly pads and original shocks as suggested. I haven't droppped the car, want some opinions first. I had to raise the rear to get the shocks to reach. I was assuming that the shocks didn't reach because the rear wasn't settled. There is no way to stagger the shocks on a 67 because the mount holes in the trunk are not staggered. Is there anything wrong with this setup or something I should check before I drop the car. Thanks guys for all your ideas.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 07:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

As long as your wheels don't rub on the lower shock mount you will be fine.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:08 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg67rs View Post
I just hooked my rear up using the mono leaf plates, summit poly pads and original shocks as suggested. I haven't droppped the car, want some opinions first. I had to raise the rear to get the shocks to reach. I was assuming that the shocks didn't reach because the rear wasn't settled. There is no way to stagger the shocks on a 67 because the mount holes in the trunk are not staggered. Is there anything wrong with this setup or something I should check before I drop the car. Thanks guys for all your ideas.
Even completely stock the rear shocks should be an inch or so short of fitting with the rear hanging under the car.

...Dennis

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

OK, good, that makes me feel better
Would it be a better idea to buy the stronger shock plates from summitt or detroit speed, etc.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 11:09 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I wouldn't...

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode