Drum vs Disk - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Drum vs Disk

I've read that stock disk brakes sit the wheels at a wider stance than the stock drums.Does anyone know exactly how much this is?Thanks for any help on this matter thats been bugging me now for too long......68 camaro.

Last edited by Stainless dog; Feb 5th, 09 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Drum vs Disk

I've never heard that, but it may be true. If it is (and I doubt it), they don't sit out much farther. If you are thinking of switching to DB, you'll be amazed at how much better the car stops.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 06:27 AM
Banned

What the deal is, is that the hub's wheel mount face for drums sit's right at 9/16" closer to the S/F vs the 2-piece rotor/hub and cast 1-piece hubs.

Therefore disc cars have a wider wheel flange mount track than drum cars by about 1-1/8" or thereabouts..

I always figured that GM compensated for this by varying the rim b/s'ings between the two designs.

And that this is the track difference between 1st and 2nd Gen. cars but never could prove it??

Anyway, David Pozzi's great site has a pic of both hubs side by side if you want to check this out.

pdq67

PS., and this 9/16" flange mount number difference is called "Joe" b/c Joe over on Team Chevelle 1st looked into it IF I remember right??

It's been years.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks pdq67.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

You might want to double check that I thought the difference was 3/8" per side.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 07:43 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
You might want to double check that I thought the difference was 3/8" per side.
Maybe even a little less say 5/16" per side.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 05:53 PM
Banned

Smile Re: Drum vs Disk

No, it's like a 1/2" to almost 9/16" per side and David gave me a 2-piece hub that's on my car now w/ my "pdqCBB" 13" front disc set-up.

Please eye-ball David's great site and you will see that it's a 1/2" or slightly more per hub b/c he has them side-by-side.

pdq67

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 10:27 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Paul I did the conversion, front and rear... In a nutshell you pull the drum off the hub in front and axle flange in the rear and push the rotor back on after turning down the flange and hub to fit inside the hat in the rotor!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 09:49 AM
Banned

Right Dennis,

I had to cut my 12-bolt axle flanges down to I forget the number and it's on the Boards somewhere. And also I had my hubs done the same so the rotor hats fit plus just very lightly kissed the center hub chamfers.

pdq67

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 02:44 PM
Tom

My '67 Camaro has '69 spindles and '69 disk brakes. The front wheel tread width is 61". I believe the stock tread width is 59". Any comments would be appreciated.

Tom Sholl
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
What the deal is, is that the hub's wheel mount face for drums sit's right at 9/16" closer to the S/F vs the 2-piece rotor/hub and cast 1-piece hubs.

Therefore disc cars have a wider wheel flange mount track than drum cars by about 1-1/8" or thereabouts..

I always figured that GM compensated for this by varying the rim b/s'ings between the two designs.

And that this is the track difference between 1st and 2nd Gen. cars but never could prove it??

Anyway, David Pozzi's great site has a pic of both hubs side by side if you want to check this out.

pdq67

PS., and this 9/16" flange mount number difference is called "Joe" b/c Joe over on Team Chevelle 1st looked into it IF I remember right??

It's been years.
there is a comparison of an older 2 piece rotor hub and a drum hub, but i don't see any pics of the difference between a stock one piece disc brake rotor hub and a drum brake hub. personally, i think the later one piece rotor is designed to put the wheel in the same place as it would be on a car with drum brakes.
but if you put later Vette rotors on a drum hub, it's gonna kick the wheel out about 1/4" due to the thickness of the rotor.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech

The replacement 1-piece rotors put the wheel mounting surface about 1/4 to 5/16 further toward the outside. When I bought my 68, the 14x6 rallys (XG code wheels for disc brake use) needed a 1/4 inch spacer to clear the tie rod ends. When I put the discs on (using the replacement 1-piece rotors), I no longer needed the spacer.

There are different wheels for 1st gens depending on drum or disc brakes; I assume the difference is just a little backspace.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
ralph

just my 2 cents, if you machine a drum brake spindle 500. in the right place, it becomes a disc brake spindle, moves it towards subfram, a half inch
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 07:49 PM
Banned

You are talking about cutting back the top bolt boss is all.

I pitched my wore out '74 Apollo front 1-piece disc's and I swear their "joe" was the same as the 2-piece hubs!

Looking back, I wished I would have kept them b/c I would have used my trusty HFT 4.5" angle grinder and removed the worn out disc portion and made hubs out of them for later!

pdq67

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 11:48 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
The replacement 1-piece rotors put the wheel mounting surface about 1/4 to 5/16 further toward the outside. When I bought my 68, the 14x6 rallys (XG code wheels for disc brake use) needed a 1/4 inch spacer to clear the tie rod ends. When I put the discs on (using the replacement 1-piece rotors), I no longer needed the spacer.

There are different wheels for 1st gens depending on drum or disc brakes; I assume the difference is just a little backspace.
disc brake wheels had the center section contoured different to clear the brake calipers.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode