stud holes/rotor - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

Question stud holes/rotor

I recently installed a new set of rear rotors from a fourth gen that are hubcentric, but I noticed that the studs do touch the outside edge of the stud hole. I presume this could lead toward stud failure and plan on opening them up with a step bit. This rear disc set up has been on the car for several years 93-7 z28 but the rotors are most likely metric in terms of the stud holes and studs are moser 0.5".
Any input?
SS

406, TKO 600 and 12 bolt posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Re: stud holes/rotor

The reason they touch is because the bolt pattern on the donar car was 5 on 4.65" instead of your 5 on 4.75". If the rotor is supported by the hub I don't see why you couldn't open the holes enough to prevent the studs from touching. Not certain it's a problem though
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

thats the question, is it a problem?

Not a huge deal but I will have to pull the calipers off which are shimmed etc...
thought I recalled reading somewhere this could cause failure due to stress on the stud when the rotor slowed or stopped. Chances are being new 1/2 studs they would never fail, but.
SS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 04:57 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I could see it being a problem if it rocked on the studs. As for being a problem if it's resting against the studs.... I'd think no since the wheel/tire assembly is torqued with the lug nuts sandwiching it all and the rotating mass on launch and braking would be a lot greater force.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Is this what you're talking about? I've wondered the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 02:18 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Holly #$%^&... Yes, more than I'd like... maybe a spacer of the same thickness with the same OD and ID needed ????Atleast thats what I'd look at doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post

Is this what you're talking about? I've wondered the same thing.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would have the rotors redrilled for the correct pattern. A good machinist can do it.

Is the caliper fully seated onto the rotor? Seems like the caliper can be further into the rotor.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I would have the rotors redrilled for the correct pattern. A good machinist can do it.

Is the caliper fully seated onto the rotor? Seems like the caliper can be further into the rotor.
This is all stock GM stuff from a 93-97 Camaro z28 - calipers, brackets and rotors, and was a bolt-on deal. To be honest, I've checked things a few times and all is well. I think the rotor bolt circle is metric?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Ahh, so this is the famous 4th Gen rear disc set-up? I would suspect the BC is metric. And yes, the rotor is clamped by the wheel and lugnuts.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Ahh, so this is the famous 4th Gen rear disc set-up? .
That is correct, sir!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: stud holes/rotor

I wouldn't worry about it. When your wheel is bolted on tight. It's not gonna move.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:

I would even go further to locate a stud that has a taller shoulder , so that the shoulder fits snug in the rotor bolt holes, not on the treads.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 05:04 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I'd be looking into if those are really 93-97 4th gen rotors. The bolt pattern on 4th gens and newer Vette's is the same within .002" as our old Chevy's 5 x 4.75". Based on this http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse...._Reference.cfm Chevy does use a 5x4.53 on 2000 and newer Impala but rockauto shows the same front rotors for a '96 Camaro and 2000 Impala. I once did front brakes on each of these cars in the same day and would sware the rotors were the same.

Even if the studs were centered I would be afraid of the rotor shifting with stud holes so much larger than the studs. Maybe the rotors have been drilled for larger studs...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech

don't worry about it- if it slid on easily and the wheel goes over it easily, then the studs are still straight.
as already said, every Camaro built from 67-02 used the same bolt pattern, but the 82 and newer cars used slightly larger 12mm wheels studs, so the holes are gonna be a little bit bigger than your 7/16" wheel studs. this isn't a big deal- i had C4 Vette rotors that were drilled for 12mm studs on my Nova with 7/16" studs, and whenever i pulled the wheels off the studs were still perfectly centered in the holes just like they were when i put them on. things aint gonna move when the wheel is tightened down.
the rotors you have might be a slightly smaller bolt pattern to fit both rwd Camaros and the newer fwd Impalas.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

Well the rear rotors are brembo and came by mistake and were a major hastle to return and were for 93-7 Z28. I didn't post that pic but it pretty much illustrates my concern.

I ended up opening the holes up on one of the rotors thus far since it cooked my cheap step bit. My concern was that contacting on the stud which in this case are 1/2" and touch the outer portion of a few of the holes. From the factory I believe they are punched. If I were running 7/16" studs there would be ample clearance.

The axles were custom so the center of the rotor matches pretty well, in all probably a non issue, probably should of left well enough alone!

SS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode