68 manual steer pitman arm diff for 6-cyl vs 8-cyl (non z28)? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

68 manual steer pitman arm diff for 6-cyl vs 8-cyl (non z28)?

Is there are difference between 68 manual steering pitman arm for a 6-cyl vs. 8-cyl (non z28)? Classic Ind. lists three different pitman arms for 68 manual steering. z28 is out of the picture so that narrows it down to two. I am replacing my old one. My car originally was a 6-cyl. The casting number on the old pitman arm is "39175778" followed by "GMT2" below (see pic). Center to center is very close to 5.25 which would indicate a short arm based on some posts here (see pic).
Thanks

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 09:32 AM
David Pozzi

Re: 68 manual steer pitman arm diff for 6-cyl vs 8-cyl (non z28)?

While your forging number is different than I've seen, the arm dimensions are the same as the short pitman arms I've seen.
Are you sure your pitman needs replacing? It seems the original ones last longer than the replacements.

Any short PS pitman should work.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thank you David. I will clean it up and and have a good second look to see if it can be reused. If I do have to replace it, are you saying that "any short PS should work" PS as in Power Steering, even though I have manual steering? Meaning...there should be no differnce between short power steering and short manual pitman arm? Thanks.

Matt

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 09:35 AM
Banned

No, the pitman arm holes are different sized.

Short/long for p/s and short/long for manual!

And fwiw, a short pitman arm w/ long spindle arms is slow ratio steering and a long pitman arm w/ short spindle arms is fast ratio steering!

I ordered my car w/ the optional fast ratio manual steering and it has a long pitman arm and short bolt-on spindle steering arms!

And don't forget to match rag-joint "halves", (i.e., top and bottom), shaft size's.

And if you get into the rag-joint, install a rubber washer kit that has a steel screen wire reinforced rubber washer!

And watch the dam screen wire tips on the circumference of it b/c the dam things are like needles and will GET YOU!! I ground them off w/ my bench grinder!

pdq67

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 12:02 PM
David Pozzi

Sorry I was thinking of PS arms since that's the usual topic here. Manual arms are the same shape but have a smaller splined hole for the shaft. I guess that's why the forging number was not familiar to me.
David

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Having a second look at the original pitman arm as suggested. Regarding the ball-joint part, how can one tell if it's good or bad based on the movement or ?? I can move it side to side, up and down... Thanks.

Matt

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 09:58 PM
David Pozzi

You should not be able to move it with your hands, if you can, it's shot. It should only rotate like a bolt with some effort like you would have to grab it with pliers to get enough leverage, if it wiggles side to side that's not acceptable.
David

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

It's shot alright! Thanks again.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode