Help from anyone that installed CE solid Subframe bushings - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Help from anyone that installed CE solid Subframe bushings

Again I find myself in mid-project with something not working out...so I come to you, the wise and "already-been-there".

Here's whats going on....

I have the Competition Engineering solid subframe bushings #C3027. These replace the top bushing only and direct you to use the original top bushing (inverted) as the new bottom bushing. (Have I lost you?)

Well, it ain't working for me. The hole on both the old and new bushings are the same size and they just sit on top of one another instead of interlocking.

If you installed these on your car, how did you make this work for you? Did the old and new bushings interlock? Or sit on top of each other as shown above?

I called CE and they have no idea what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Re: Help from anyone that installed CE solid Subframe bushings

I installed those on my old 67 ragtop and I don't remember using any "old" bushings???

I remember they were different than the GW interlocking bushings that I used on my 69 ragtop as the CE's did not interlock??

P.S. Everett must be right...

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You use the CE bushing for the top bushing replacement - no bushing on the bottom - then install the OE bolt and OE washer.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

There are on 6 bushings in the set but each car requires 12 total (4 for the core support (2 top/2 bottom) and 4 for each side (2 top/2 bottom)...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Here are the directions I was following which matches the Competition Engineering tech line:

I'd love it if I just needed to install one upper bushing...but am concerned that the subframe needs to be "sandwiched" between two bushings as was the OEM...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

Hey Brent...from what I can see they only want you to reuse the upper bushing in the lower spot on the radiator support. That's if I'm reading the directions correctly. http://www.competitionengineering.co...c3027_inst.pdf

For all the cars I've done, including my two current ones, I use the Energy Suspension polyurethane mounts and they're awesome! Part # is 3.4142G I think.

BTW, sorry I missed you the other night..I hope it's working!

Dave Miller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

You two are right...I expected that there would be both a top and bottom but there is not. I misread the instructions...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Dave,

The Cryo is a lifesaver--we just refilled it seconds ago--it makes such a big difference. The one they provided is pretty lame in comparison...

I'll check out the Energy Suspension--I don't know how I feel about having only a top bushing when I am running subframe connectors....

Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Dave View Post
Hey Brent...from what I can see they only want you to reuse the upper bushing in the lower spot on the radiator support. That's if I'm reading the directions correctly. http://www.competitionengineering.co...c3027_inst.pdf

For all the cars I've done, including my two current ones, I use the Energy Suspension polyurethane mounts and they're awesome! Part # is 3.4142G I think.

BTW, sorry I missed you the other night..I hope it's working!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
Dave,

The Cryo is a lifesaver--we just refilled it seconds ago--it makes such a big difference. The one they provided is pretty lame in comparison...

I'll check out the Energy Suspension--I don't know how I feel about having only a top bushing when I am running subframe connectors....

Brent
Good deal! Keep it as long as you need it...hopefully I'm done with shoulder surgeries for awhile!

I've got CE bolt in connectors on the Z-10 and the ride is firm but nice with the Energy Suspension bushings.

Dave Miller

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I see by Rev C, dated Mar 2001, CE changed their instruction sheet to include using the upper body bushings for the lower bushing. Apparently, the public was having some concern over too much vibration during their driving.

I bought their bushing kit in the mid-90's and used CE bushing for the top half as the bushing was indexed in the subframe hole below the floor and no bushing below the subframe. I used the OE bolt & washer to clamp it all together. I did leave the OE bushing in the radiator support for vibration purposes and have not had any trouble with the radiator.

Experimentation is the key here, I believe.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 04:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
You use the CE bushing for the top bushing replacement - no bushing on the bottom - then install the OE bolt and OE washer.
With all due respect Everett I can't see it being installed with no bushing on the bottom. I think you just reuse the original bottom bushing, washer and bolt. The CE kit only appears to replace the bushing between the subframe and body/radiator support.

Dave Miller

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Dave, your point of view accepted, I may have read the instructions wrong.

'
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Dave,

When you installed the CE subframe connectors, did you have any issues with the rear of the connectors bolting to the front spring pocket?

My connectors do not draw down flush to the spring pocket--the outside edges of the spring pocket keep it about .25" from being flush... I could grind down the edges I guess but would rather not...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 07:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
Dave,

When you installed the CE subframe connectors, did you have any issues with the rear of the connectors bolting to the front spring pocket?

My connectors do not draw down flush to the spring pocket--the outside edges of the spring pocket keep it about .25" from being flush... I could grind down the edges I guess but would rather not...

I've installed them on at least 4 cars in the last 15 years and I've never had a problem but I do see this in the instructions so it is a known "issue".

5. Sandwich the rear-mounting bracket of the Subframe Connector between the rear frame rail and the
spring perch. Due to variations in the spring perch stamping, it may be necessary to notch the mounting
bracket on the Subframe Connector.

Dave Miller

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 07:42 PM
Brian

I just bought those same bushings and did not like having the rubber parts on the bottom, seemed cheesy, and since I will be building weld through the floor connectors. I purchased some 6061 T6 round bar that is 2 1/2" dia. then took it to the lathe and cut it so it would lock into the frame hole (basically just built a duplicate CE bushing for the bottom). I used this to mock up then tore everything apart for other mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode