Sagging left rear suspension - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Sagging left rear suspension

My 1969 Camaro's left rear spring is sagging. Springs are multi-leaf(5) springs. Wheel wells measure 27 inches off the ground, except the left rear, which is 26 1/2 inches. Wheels are 15 X 8 rally's all around and 235/60's up front and 275/60's on the rear. Rear tire(s) scuff the wheel well when I hit a bump. Can I just install a 1/2 inch block between the spring and shock anchor plate to raise the car? Would that give me the proper geometry. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: Sagging left rear suspension

no.it would actually lower car more, need to re arc spring or put airshocks on car
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Bill,

Friend installed air shocks and said ride was rough, so I think re-arching springs is the way to go. Thanks for your input...

Pono

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 08:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Odd that it's just left rear. I've seen cars with very obese drivers that weakened both left springs. I'd pull the rear end loose on that side and check for broken leaf. if not replace rearch both rear springs.

Jeff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 08:39 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Check the air in the tires, 1/2" could just be the difference in inflation between 2 tires. A better measurment is from the center of the wheel (or axle flange/hub) to the fender lip as it eliminates the tire from the equation. Make sure the cars is on level ground too, it makes a big difference!

I would un-bolt the shocks and lower the car onto the suspension, bounce it a few times then measure again. This will tell you if you have simple shock problem or if you need to dig further. Also make sure you don't have any extra weight sitting on one side or the other that could mess with your measurments.

If it's not a shock then you have to start looking into several things. You could have a bad bushing (spring eyes, upper shackle bushing or body bushings) all can effect how the car sits. It could be the spring itself as well...

As a temp fix you could use a block as you asked about but on the opposite side to lower it to match but don't plan on this as a fix for the problem because what ever is causing this in the 1st place will likely keep going over time.

1/2" isn't very much and depending on overall condition of the car may just be normal wear. Without knowing the cars history over the past 40years don't be surprised if the answer remains elusive until you do a frame off restoration or have changed out a lot of parts and one day it magically sites level. Start with the shocks and other simple stuff I've suggested, you might get lucky...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

Why is it always the left side that seems to sag? Could the driver's weight cause this? Seems unlikely.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 12:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
Why is it always the left side that seems to sag? Could the driver's weight cause this? Seems unlikely.
For most of I think not, but for the very obese yes it does take it toll n the springs. I used to do wheel alignment for a Firestone store 8-10 a day. I had one car I had to have the service manger hang on the open drivers door while I set the caster and camber to keep it form pulling, the weight of the driver made it change enough that it would not track straight with him in it.

Jeff
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested, a 1/2 inch is pretty good tolerance.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
A better measurment is from the center of the wheel (or axle flange/hub) to the fender lip as it eliminates the tire from the equation.
If the tire were low, wouldn't it lower the center of the wheel (or hub)?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 07:35 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
If the tire were low, wouldn't it lower the center of the wheel (or hub)?
Yes it would lower it but the distance from the center of the wheel up to the fender lip won't change...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Ahh,..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode