Help! Wierd Power steering pump damage- Not a Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Help! Wierd Power steering pump damage- Not a Camaro

Hi Guys

Thought I would post a non Camaro question on a problem I'm having and see if someone here has any idea or info.

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 4wd that just last week had the PS pump go out. When I finally got everything out of the way to pull the pump ( sure appreciate the simplicity of my Camaro after this) I found the Pump had sheared the Pulley shaft off inside the pump, The pull and shaft came right out of the pump in my hands.

I replaced the pump and had about three days of driving around on the new pump and then it failed again. AGAIN the pulley shaft had sheared off in the pump.

What's going on here? New bad pump , just coincidence? The pump had plenty of fluid in it, both lines had fluid in them when disconnecting them.
There is what looks like an electrical regulator that regulates flow that I had to transfer on the back of the pump in the pressure line side. Could that cause the problem? I'm trying to figure out what could cause repeat failure of that kind to avoid further problems.

Thanks for any advice
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: Help! Wierd Power steering pump damage- Not a Camaro

Did you flush the lines good before you put the new pump on? There may be debris that's getting caught in the pump. You may want to put in inline filter in the return line.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi go2fast

I did not flush the lines before installing the new pump. I did notice that when removed the new broken pump the fluid in it was a bit darker than the new fluid I had just put in a day or so before. I will check into a good procedure to flush the system and maybe see if I can find an in-line filter somewhere before installing the new pump.
I'm not sure where I can get the flow regulator on the back of the pump if that is suspected bad, probably dealer only.

Thanks
Ray

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 09:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I think that's a p/s pressure switch, to kick idle up on computer, Other cars had them in
line. Check that the bracket is not loose or out of line. I saw a couple pumps broken like that, still don't know why.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech

I think that the valve on the back of your Suburban power steering pump is an EVO valve. It regulates the fluid flow out of the pump to give you variable power assist. I doubt that it is the cause of your pump failures.

I really can't explain why you have had two pump failures so quickly. I have heard of pump failures when people get stuck in a snowbank; rev their engines; and cramp the steering all the way to full lock. This can cause very high steering fluid temperatures which can cause the pump to sieze and the driveshaft to break. Just a thought.

Jim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks everyone for the replies

I am going to flush the old Power Steering fluid out of the system and run new fluid completly before installing the new pump. At least no one has said there is a common cause that causes this failure. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something. Maybe contaminate from the old pump failure was in the fluid and was pushed into the new pump. I'll hope for the best.

Jim

I'm thinking you are right about the first failure. I was spinning on Ice and driving out of deep snow when the first failure happened. My RPMs was high and I was trying to steer out of the snow bank. Maybe the second failure was contaminent from the first pump.

Thanks again
Ray
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 11:38 AM
David Pozzi

Do you have hydraboost brakes?
I hear that puts more load on the pump shaft. Applying brakes while turning the wheels standing still puts a big load on it.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi David

I have the Vacuum assist brakes, I've bought enough fluid to try and flush the system, Just not sure how to flush the gear box with out running the engine of having the PS pump on. I also bought an IN Line filter to stick on the return side just in case. I'm hoping either it was contaminents or a bad new pump. If the third one goes I'm stumped.

Thanks
Ray
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 10:35 AM
David Pozzi

You can use a funnel with long hose to the box inlet and pour fluid in like an IV. Then run the outlet to a bucket or pan. Not a lot of pressure that way but it should help. Then I'd blow some air through the box then do the hose/funnel thing again a few times watching for metal coming out. Then connect pump outlet to the box, fill it and run for a few seconds, stop and refill a few times.

It might turn out best if you just replaced the box with a rebuilt one.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode