Body bushings question - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louie

Body bushings question

Has anyone here installed new body bushings and noticed the hole is about
twice the size of the bolt that goes through it into the body? What gives here. There seems to be
way too much slop for this to be correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave
Re: Body bushings question

The "slop" is there to give room to align the subframe to the body

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 07:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I replaced one lower with a new part because the first part deformed out from under the washer. Both were GM parts. The first part was all rubber. The second had steel reinforcement. Did the originals have the steel?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

yeah, the originals had the steel washer built in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 01:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

For 1967 to early 1969 model year the lower body cushion was the same front and rear. Early 1969 the front stayed the same and the rears changed. What changed? Do only the rears have the embeded washer. The washer goes against the body, correct?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

When I changed all of mine, they were all wood. Yes, some joker put wood doughnuts in there.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 02:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
When I changed all of mine, they were all wood. Yes, some joker put wood doughnuts in there.
Thanks for the help!

I guess the guy wanted solid bushings.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

These are my originals that I replaced last summer with aluminum. My car is a May build. The rears are the larger set.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 07:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Fred, do the ones that have the 4802 part number have molded in washers or are they all rubber?

Does anyone sell the original looking grade 8 bolts and washers? AMK bolts aren't right.

Last edited by Gary L; Feb 16th, 09 at 07:49 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

They all have the metal sleeves/washers (from the factory).

I think the OER bushing set is the one Ive used on a few cars in the past, and they have the AIM-corresponding PNs on them so you know where they all go.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 06:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

RAD, I know the top cushions have metal sleeves and washers, but I am thinking the lower front cushions don't have a washer molded in. The AIM calls the front and rears different part numbers. I bought Chevrolet part number 3914802 and they are all rubber. That part is baffling.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
RAD, I know the top cushions have metal sleeves and washers, but I am thinking the lower front cushions don't have a washer molded in. The AIM calls the front and rears different part numbers. I bought Chevrolet part number 3914802 and they are all rubber. That part is baffling.
Lower cushions did not have the washer molded in. My car has never had them changed and I have had the lowers off to take out the trans crossmember. The uppers still have masking? tape around them from the Norwood Plant. FWIW.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 12:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Fred, do the ones that have the 4802 part number have molded in washers or are they all rubber?

Does anyone sell the original looking grade 8 bolts and washers? AMK bolts aren't right.
Gary, one of my original bolts is to the right in this picture. It's coned at the tip for one reason: assembly line power tool speed wrench installation. You don't need it.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 12:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Fred, do the rubber cushions with the 3914802 number molded in have metal washers molded into them?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

The small lower cushions do not have metal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode