Front Suspension Rebuild - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Front Suspension Rebuild

I need some help on what to do with my front suspension as I am getting ready to rebuild the front. I have Eibach springs that I purchased years ago that I am finally going to install. I just finished putting a AGR power steering box in and just from the feel of that in the garage I can tell that was a major improvement over the stock box.

I am looking for a nice street driven suspension. I do not want to do aftermarket upper control arms, mainly due to budget and also I want to look close to stock. I also would like to limit the changes to things that are easily reversible so I am not too interested in the Guldstrand Mod, but I could change my mind on this mod depending on the responses. I have narrowed my upgrade choices to the following but am up to other suggestions: Addco 1" front sway bar, Del-a-lum bushings (top and bottom?) or Poly bushings, offset upper control arm shafts, and/or Tall upper ball joints. The question I have is which is the best way to go and/or what combination of the above items will work together with what I currently have. Are the Del-a-lums that much better than poly? Does the offset cross shaft accomplish the same net result as the tall ball joint or can they both be used together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: Front Suspension Rebuild

I did a similar rebuild as you 1 yr ago. I used the 1" lowering Eibach springs, AGR steering box, Hotchkis front sway bar and adjustable Hotchkis tie rods, new shocks and poly bushings. What a difference it made. Might I suggest also at this time to change out the front sub frame bushings if needed. I used my old upper control arm shafts also.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

I will be replacing the subframe bushings and shocks before it gets back on the road. Anyone have experience with offset control arm shafts or taller ball joints, and can they be used together?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I've used a few of the offset shaft kits. The offset shaft kit was originally designed to get more positive camber (tilt of the tire at the top). It can also be used to gain positive caster ( more positive caster= more directional control)by allowing more shims to be installed with out losing too much positive camber. Longer ball joint changes the front end geometry to effect camber gain as suspension compresses. They can be used together.

Jeff
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 10:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4info View Post
I need some help on what to do with my front suspension as I am getting ready to rebuild the front. I have Eibach springs that I purchased years ago that I am finally going to install. I just finished putting a AGR power steering box in and just from the feel of that in the garage I can tell that was a major improvement over the stock box.

I am looking for a nice street driven suspension. I do not want to do aftermarket upper control arms, mainly due to budget and also I want to look close to stock. I also would like to limit the changes to things that are easily reversible so I am not too interested in the Guldstrand Mod, but I could change my mind on this mod depending on the responses. I have narrowed my upgrade choices to the following but am up to other suggestions: Addco 1" front sway bar, Del-a-lum bushings (top and bottom?) or Poly bushings, offset upper control arm shafts, and/or Tall upper ball joints. The question I have is which is the best way to go and/or what combination of the above items will work together with what I currently have. Are the Del-a-lums that much better than poly? Does the offset cross shaft accomplish the same net result as the tall ball joint or can they both be used together?
There are two ways to do the Guldstand mod - simply drill new holes which requires that you cut the "ears" off the UCA mounting point to clear the stock UCA, or you can cut the entire UCA/shock mount off, trim it and re-weld it to the subframe in the Guldstrand position. Although neither is reversible, the second method is extremely hard for the non-expert to detect. I'm not suggesting fraud, just the benefits of the Guldstrand mod without butchering the UCA/shock mount.

If you don't want to do either variant of the Guldstrand mod, I'd contact Mark at SC&C to see if you can use his tall balljoints with stock arms.

As for the rest of your selections, my sense of these cars is that they like a lot of front bar. I'm using the Hotchkis 1.125" hollow sway bar and like it. The Addco sway bar may be just fine. I'd do the Del-a-lum bushings top and bottom (but not poly bushings) and offset upper control arm shafts only if you need them. The Del-a-lums are extremely consistent, extremely smooth and greaseable. Poly still have some give and some "stiction." The offset cross shaft is strictly a corrective for a subframe that has collapsed toward the center of the car. It's intended to recreate the factory UCA crossshaft locaton and does nothing for the camber issue.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Lordy Mike! Can you come play with my car?
I installed Polly control arm bushings when they first came out. They squeek. I don't like the sound but can only hear it when the front is hoisted off the floor. Lube hasn't stopped the squeek. Gotta vender you like for Del-a-lum's?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 11:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Lordy Mike! Can you come play with my car?
I installed Polly control arm bushings when they first came out. They squeek. I don't like the sound but can only hear it when the front is hoisted off the floor. Lube hasn't stopped the squeek. Gotta vender you like for Del-a-lum's?
The only major pro-touring vendor I'm aware of who does the Del-a-lum UCA bushings for stock UCAs is Global West. There may well be others. (Note the DSE UCA bushings are poly.) I'll confess I got the DSE UCA bushings (thiking they were delrin), learned they were poly, switched over to the Global Wests when I did a bunch of other things to the suspension and haven't noticed any handling difference I can trace to the bushings, but I do like the ability to lube the bushings. For a fresh build, I'd simply go with the best product available because the price difference isn't that great in the overall scheme of things.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode