Sway bar kit , what kind? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Rory

Sway bar kit , what kind?

Hello , im looking to lower my 69 and get rid of body roll may be a sway bar kit might do, im in Ireland so its harder to get good information on what parts to get or what works best. There is a big block under the hood, i wold love to put in a new sub frame with springs and all but fear it would cost too much,Any info is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 11:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Sway bar kit , what kind?

I use Hotchkis in the front, no rear and its plenty good enough for any tight turns. Shocks would help to. There is some sponsors on this site and they might be on sale.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 11:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Heres the link...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150278

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Rory

Thanks for that il have a look now
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 11:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I use Addco.com bars. Had them on since 1970. They have a lifetime warranty over here. You'll have to check with them about Ireland.
And I'm with you Rory: hate body roll. My rear bar is matched to the front. Very important to prevent over-steer. Here's a look. But first these bars are only part of a system that includes Koni shocks, polyurethane bushings, sub frame connectors, solid body mounts, aluminum heads and other engine components, batteries in the trunk, Gatorback tires and really fast Trans Am power steering and a small steering wheel and Centerline Champ500 wheels. Now to install the new G Tech computer.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 07:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Fred that sure looks pretty under there. I was told that the rear sway bar makes the ride way to stiff and if mounted to the floor pan it would tear it out of the floor. But i guess if it matches the front and all the mod you did. Then i must be like driving a new Corvette..

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 10:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Fred that sure looks pretty under there. I was told that the rear sway bar makes the ride way to stiff and if mounted to the floor pan it would tear it out of the floor. But i guess if it matches the front and all the mod you did. Then i must be like driving a new Corvette..
A new vette!? I would never be so presumpsious. But thank you, I like it.
Edit; Problem. This car goes around corners on a rail. It doesn't come close to breaking loose at any speed short of a felony. I have no idea how quick it is because finding out is way beyond illegal. About 20 years ago I went auto crossing. Finished second to some guy with auto cross stickers all over his windows and tires half again bigger than mine with a 460 engine. But I had him beat on horsepower. Oh, and he was about a 1/4 ton lighter too. Come close, I have to whisper,,,,,,, it was a,,,, (this is hard),,,fustang. But I also took-out my share of cones. That's really not good on a classic car. I'm sticking to drag racing. 11.89et so far. I just wish I knew what I was doing.
Oh, Skip. A sway bar, properly installed does not make the ride stiffer over bumps. In fact, they reduce thump over a pot hole. And these bars will tear-up sheep metal. Don't mount them that way. Use backing plates if no other location is available.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Last edited by Fred Ficarra; Feb 17th, 09 at 11:12 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech
John

For what it's worth, I just installed an Addco front bar. The end link kits were wrong.
The bar itself is a quality piece, just I had to order an end link kit from PST to finish the job after Addco sent another wrong (same as the first one) end link kit in attempt to fix my dilemma.
A member here talked to them on the phone when he ordered it, and told Addco the bolt and spacer lengths so he didn't run ito this situation.

Might run a search here on "addco" and you'll run into it I'm sure.....

My .02

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Rory

Thanks for that , when my car looks like that under neeth il be a happy man ita a credit too you, so hard over here trying to get the right stuff.I only have the car a few months , trying to save up and buy the right parts id love to buy a complete front and back kit with brakes,springs and suspension thr works all part of a kit It wouldbe better shipping it all together, do such companies do this?
And thanks for your info
Rory
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 09, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
sako

a lot of companies have sway bar kits. Hotchkis is one of the well known and more expensive ones, are we paying more for the name or quality?

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 09, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Do a search on this site - look for [email protected]&C or for teetoe jones. There is much more that can be done to these cars than sway bars. The stock front suspension geometry on these cars is horrid, but there are some really excellent and reasonably priced fixes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode