Bushings in general - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Bushings in general

Will not take long now before i can start changing bushings in the front. But - has anyone ever bought a complete set of bushings from e.g NPD? Can you suggest any good supplier of poly graphite bushings?

Planning on lowering the front about 1". Anything special to think about in regards to bushings etc.?

67 Swedish Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 12:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Bushings in general

I went with David Pozzi's advice. No good reason to use anything except solid aluminum.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 01:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

If you want polygraphite bushings.........
I have purchased from http://www.p-s-t.com/ for my 77 Camaro...
just make sure to lube them up very well before installing...

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech
John

I just finished doing the upper and lower A arms on the front suspension. I used Energy Suspension's polygraphite (black) bushings. Definite improvement over the stock worn out sloppy rubber bushings.
My only suggestion is if you use the poly bushings, order an extra few tubes or extra "lube" they send. Follow the directions exactly, and don't be afraid of using the lube. I noticed a squeak before I tightened the lower a arm bolts, stopped, put lube on the bushings and where the A arm goes onto the frame, no more squeak.
Been driving it around, not a squeak.

Hope that helps.....

PST bushings I'm sure are just as good as Energy Suspension.....I have their sway bar end link kit. Good stuff.

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 06:13 PM

I used Energy Suspension graphite bushings and wished I hadn't. I used plenty of lube during installation, but after 10,000 mile they squeak bad. It's very embarrassing to drive, the slightest bump causes squeaking. Everyone claims better handling but where's the proof? If you like a harsh squeaky ride go with poly, if you want parts that designed to work go with OEM rubber.

67maro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Thanks for that info guys,

Is there really a big need for putting extra lube on there? I was under the impression that the graphite worked as a lubricant and extra lube, or lube in general, was not needed?
Pure polyurethane bushings (not poly-graphite), however, was the "squeeky sort". Or am I wrong?

I do want a solid car with good handling. I do not want to the squeeks.
Anyone else that picked OEM rubber like 67maro?

67 Swedish Convertible

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 02:32 AM
Senior Tech

i used stock replacement Moog bushings in my Nova, and it worked fine for me..
i don't know how much bind there was compared to poly or solids or delrins, but i was able to move the suspension up and down by grabbing onto the spindles with the bolts all tightened up but no springs in it. it was stiff, but it did move.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode