Lower spring plate - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bernie

Lower spring plate

Hey Guys,

I need to remove my traction bars to register my car and order from the US lower spring plates for my '67. I believe the rear is not original rear axle code BM 0314G2 indicates '68 or '69.
I took photos to show the set up. Can you advise what plates I need, retaining the multi leaf set up. I'll probably order from Rick's.

Thanks
Bernie

URL=http://imageshack.us][/url]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bernie

Re: Lower spring plate

As the shocks are not staggered I will order lower plates for a '68/69. Any preferences to who?

Bernie
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 01:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

68/69 camaros have staggered shocks. You need to ones for a 67. Ricks has them

Part # SS-48
Part # SS-47

or if you want the DSE lower plates

DS-29

http://www.rickscamaros.com/find.asp?

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bernie

Thanks Mike

Bernie
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 09, 12:38 PM
Banned

You mean to tell us that they won't license your car w/ traction aids installed??

If so, this suck's!

pdq67

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 09, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
You mean to tell us that they won't license your car w/ traction aids installed??

If so, this suck's!

pdq67

Nope. They sit below the rims and have to go. I'm a bit confused.

Can you answer this for me. Looking at the shots of the 67 rear axle I have non staggered shocks and multi leaf springs. Must I order as prostreet 69 Camaro suggests lower plate for 67 OR 68/69 plate for multi leaf.

Bernie
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 05:47 AM
Banned

Right, it's the Law that nothing can be below a flat tire b/c then it can drag and either tear the road up or get caught and really screw things up, like flip you..

Get the '67 shock plates, they are like your hands!! A right side and a left side!

Not just one that is rotated front and rear like the '68/'69's do.

pdq67

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
T

As mentioned, you're going to need "67" plates in order to have the correct shock mount location on the lower spring plates -- the 68/69 plate for the LH side would have no way to mount your shock!

AFAIK, there were never any multi-leafs installed in '67 camaros from the factory, and since multi-leaf and mono-leaf shock plates are different, there's no such thing as a "stock" multi-leaf spring plate for a '67. Check out David Pozzi's site for info, but I think (?) it's just the height of the shock location and metal thickness that's different:
http://www.pozziracing.com/rear_suspension.htm

So Rick's has good stuff, but those part numbers listed are for stock-type mono plates

Seeing has you're probably going to drop some $$ on shipping to Oz anyway, I'd vote to get the beefier stuff from Detroit Speed & Engineering (stock type, non-staggered, shocks outboard):
http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp..._prod_test.htm
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 10:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post
As mentioned, you're going to need "67" plates in order to have the correct shock mount location on the lower spring plates -- the 68/69 plate for the LH side would have no way to mount your shock!

AFAIK, there were never any multi-leafs installed in '67 camaros from the factory, and since multi-leaf and mono-leaf shock plates are different, there's no such thing as a "stock" multi-leaf spring plate for a '67. Check out David Pozzi's site for info, but I think (?) it's just the height of the shock location and metal thickness that's different:
http://www.pozziracing.com/rear_suspension.htm

So Rick's has good stuff, but those part numbers listed are for stock-type mono plates

Seeing has you're probably going to drop some $$ on shipping to Oz anyway, I'd vote to get the beefier stuff from Detroit Speed & Engineering (stock type, non-staggered, shocks outboard):
http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp..._prod_test.htm

Sorry but there are 2 differents sets of numbers in Ricks catalog. The second set are the DSE plates for 74.99 a set. Part# DS-29

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 04:12 PM
Banned

I just looked again, trim your "J"-bolts back CLOSE and use thinner locking nuts and tell them to KYA b/c they aren't below your rims lips!!

pdq67

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
I just looked again, trim your "J"-bolts back CLOSE and use thinner locking nuts and tell them to KYA b/c they aren't below your rims lips!!

pdq67
I Agree, or just take off the J-Bolts and use original U bolts only. The J bolts dont help much anyway IMO.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszmjt View Post
I Agree, or just take off the J-Bolts and use original U bolts only. The J bolts dont help much anyway IMO.
Quote:

pdq67

I will sus out using U bolts and thinner nuts, not sure about the KMA (LOL)as I don't need to b on the wrong side of the licensing guys.

Thanks again
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Sorry but there are 2 differents sets of numbers in Ricks catalog. The second set are the DSE plates for 74.99 a set. Part# DS-29
I never was very good at reading and following directions.... Somehow I missed that you posted the DSE part number there. My bad.

Anyhow, SS-48 & SS-47 from rick's are for the monoleaf setup.
DS-29 is the DSE plates for non-staggered shocks and would be my choice if you're going to replace the plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode