What is it? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

What is it?

OK, let's see if any of you gurus on the site can help me out without looking at any pictures..

On the left hand side of the subframe, just a couple of inches forward of the front bushing, I have three bolts (3) attached to the subframe. The don't hold on to anything..Just bolted to the subframe. Now - there is a variance in colour between the subframe in general, and what appears to be, the place where a plate or similar used to be.
Can you answer this one without pics? My car used to be a manual car but has got an automatic gear box in it now. Were the 3 bolts used to hold anything related to that?

Second question is - (Now you have to pardon my english..)...The "bolt thingy" that holds the upper controlarm to the subframe (where the shims are) - how do I remove that one? Can I knock it (the bushings) out using a BFH or do I have to press it out?
I have pretty much "cleaned out" everything from the subframe and I'm getting ready to have it sandblasted and powder coated..Can hardly wait to start re-assemble it again..

67 Swedish Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: What is it?

On your first question, I think you mean the attachment for the pedal crank on a manual trans car.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Answer to part one.. That is where the mount went for the z-bar for the clutch when your car was a manual. That part is now only made for the 68 and 69. The mount for the 67 was totally different.

Part two:

A BFH and a block of wood will do the trick. If however you are referring to the bushings on the opposite side where they mount to the subframe. Then they can be taken out by drilling out the rubber and then using a chisel and a BFH, but to replace requires press.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

Last edited by Nantooch; Feb 22nd, 09 at 01:04 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech
bill

that is where the plate bolted up for the clutch pivot. guess po just put the bolts back in.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 01:46 PM
Banned

I used my trusty CHEAP HFT $10 air chisel to remove my A-arm bushings fine.

And then I used a piece of 1/2" Althread and a bunch of big washers, a couple of nuts and lube along w/ a boxend wrench and my 1/2" ratchet to install them. You will need to use a couple of small sockets as spacers to keep from crushing the A-arm lips!

I did have to gently hand BEAT in the last bushing b/c the shaft is in the way. Use a stout piece a 1" x 2" cut to fit between the "U" to also keep from bending it too tight as you gently hammer the last bushing into place!

You will see what I mean.

And to think the shop wanted close to a "C"-note to do this for me almost 10 years ago tho..

it took me about 2.5 to maybe 3.0 hours by hand, BUT I will say that doing it wore the hair off the palm's of my hands!!

He, He!!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Talking Re: What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
it took me about 2.5 to maybe 3.0 hours by hand, BUT I will say that doing it wore the hair off the palm's of my hands!!
Doing what again? :-)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 07:07 PM
David Pozzi

The upper control arm frame bolts have a bolt head but can't be turned due to the splines on the bolt shank. Just tap them out of the subframe by striking the threaded end. They are like a wheel stud, but the splines are very short.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Thanks for all your answers! They helped a lot. Left hand side is completey taken apart now. Will do right hand side this evening.
Bushings pressed out on Friday afternoon. I'm getting closer to blasting...

Thanks again guys

67 Swedish Convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode