Brake kits - Which ones??? Help a man make up his mind!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Brake kits - Which ones??? Help a man make up his mind!!!

I sure wish it was simple but it's not as I've been chewing on this for days. I am converting my 68 from manual 4 drums to 4 disks. I will run 17 inch wheels so I am in the market for 12-13 inch rotors. I would like to start with the front first. I haven't decided if I will go power/manual yet. The bigger decision I need help with is which kit. I have looked at Wilwood, CPP, ABS and a few others in between. I have searched this site inside and out finding a little good about each one. I have found a little more negative stuff about CPP then others. So far, I am leaning towards Wilwood's kit "Dynalite Big Brake". Kit includes:

Calipers, Hubs, Rotors, Brake pads, Mounting brackets, Hats, Hardware, Installation instructions. In addition to this, I will need: Master Cyl, booster, adjust prop valve, flex break line kit.

According to what I read, I should be able to reuse my stock drum spindles.

Has anyone used this setup before or perhaps another one that they are happy with?

What else will I need to make this complete?

I sure wish there was one kit out there instead of dozens, but than again thatís the beauty of a free market.

Thanks in advance...

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zlek131; Feb 22nd, 09 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 08:10 PM
Jess

Re: Break kits - Which ones??? Help a man make up his mind!!!

not trying to steal your thread here but Im looking for somewhat of the same info. Ill be switching the front drums on my 69 to discs and Im looking for the best kit. Right now Im thinking ssbc but if I was an all knowing expert I wouldnt be on the forum! lol. any advise would be helpful. Im going to be running a 15 inch wheel to start and will convert to an 18 inch set later. Id also like to go with a brake company that I could basically upgrade to the bigger rotors and more piston calipers when I go up in wheel size.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 12:07 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Brake kits - Which ones??? Help a man make up his mind!!!

keep your stock drum hubs and order 13" rotors, calipers, and baskets for a later model Corvette- the year doesn't really matter as long as it's 88 or so and newer and everything is from the same year.
make some 1/4" steel brackets to mount the Vette baskets and machine your drum hubs down to fit inside the rotors.
it is a simple swap that works- you won't need a power booster of any kind and your car will just flat out stop when you hit the pedal.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

i did the Right Stuff Detailing upgrade to power w/ discs on front. Kit was complete and everything fit as it was supposed to. also got new lines from them.

Rob

67 base convertible, GMPP 350/330 HO, TKO500....
Taken around the block for the first time 12/2/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finaly getting some paint Sept. 2009

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Jess, Matt

I did the a 4 wheel disc power brake conversion last year on my 69 Camaro. I had 4 wheel power drums and was able to keep my stock drum spindles. The system works great and looks awesome. Check my link below for some pictures of the parts and the install. I went will all new stainless steel brake lines, 11 booster, 1 1/8 " bore master cylinder and a "combination valve" for 4 wheel disc applications. I purchased everything (except for booster, master cylinder, combination valve and brake lines) from Dean at Hotrodusa..see link attached. The Wilwood system even includes the rear parking brake components to hook up your stock cables. I did not want to use the Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve that Wilwood sells use nor did I like the look of their master cylinder. If you need more info PM me. I recommend you give Dean a call if you like the Wilwoods.

The stainless brake lines I got from Right Stuff Detailing...as far as I am concerned they were the best and helped me out a lot.

Good luck. Joe

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 10:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Check out stainless steel brakes

Ordered their front conversion kit, I think its price was reasonable, the parts were top notch and iconversion was a breeze. They sell a rear conversion kit also, but that will ome later for me.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 10:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: Brake kits - Which ones??? Help a man make up his mind!!!

If you are looking for a good deal to upgrade (from drums), this is one https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150333 from one of our sponsors (Frank @ Prodigy Customs). Pretty good deal for everything to do it.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech
Creight

Feel free to pm me on brake kits. I carry Baer, SSBC and Wilwood.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 04:05 PM

I am looking for a buyer for a Master Brake Cylinder #5470409 1 1/8 that I purchased new. It's in great shape. Will ship within US. It fits a 70-72 vintage Chevelle, Camaro, among others.
Please contact
David
970-314-5553
[email protected]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 05:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

These guys have good stuff http://www.touring-classics.com/Brake%20Kits.htm

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode