Power steering bracket correct mounting location - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Hardway Send a message via Yahoo to Hardway
Power steering bracket correct mounting location

I started some virtual assembly on my PS setup and ran across an issue. The rear PS pump bracket, the top bolts to the front exhaust manifold bolt and the bottom bolts to the block. My assembly manual does not show the bottom bolt location very well, other than it goes in to the block. From what I can tell it shares a bolt with the engine mount. Is the correct? If so does the bracket mount inbetween the block and mount or inbetween the mount and the head of the bolt holding the mount to the block?

Jeff
Current Vehicles: 1969 Camaro Z28 Clone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1988 IROC Tech page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: Power steering bracket correct mounting location

A fellow 1st gen owner in my car club answered my question for me.

Jeff, the rear PS bracket goes between the motor mount and the bolt head. See link below.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.p...teering+bracket

Jeff

1988 IROC Tech page:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardway View Post
A fellow 1st gen owner in my car club answered my question for me.
Your welcome Jeff.

~Joe

1969 Camaro....LS1/T-56.............
In the early stages of Pro-Touring

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 11:27 PM
David Pozzi

Check out how that bracket fits against the motor mount. I seem to recall one year had a motor mount bolt with stud coming out of it's head, it might not be the 69 but if the bracket looks like it needs more space away from the motor mount, it might be needing the stud type motor mount bolt.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Well I thought I had this figured out but appearantly not yet. I posted some pics on my PB account below to show you where I am. I have the bottom of the bracket bolted to the motor mount. The order starting with the block going down is block, mount plate, bracket, lock washer, head of bolt. From the looks of where it is at it seems that it might actually need to go in between the motor and the mount. However something in the back of my head makes this seem illogical. Anyone have any ideas?

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/cam...ring%20Install/

Jeff

1988 IROC Tech page:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Power steering bracket correct mounting location

You have it bolted correctly. If I remember correctly, I had to start the bolts of each end and then tighten them up evenly. The bracket will flex to allow this.

Your Hex spacer may be a little too long also.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face Re: Power steering bracket correct mounting location

Scratch that last comment. I scaled both pictures, and both spacers appear to be about 1.525" long.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Looks like I got it figured out. I did not realize that the PST motor mounts have additional plate as part of the mount assembly until I took pictures of it. To compensate for this I enlarged the holes on each end of the bracket to the next step up on my enlarging bit. That made all the difference in the world. I posted up some new pics of my progress on my PB account below. With the pump mocked up I can tell I am going to have to get a correct SBC Camaro fan shroud and crank and WP pulleys. The ones on the car are some off the shelf chrome units that appear to be a for a big block or something else. Anyway, none of the grooves on the pulleys line up correctly so back to stock it is going. I appreciate everyone's input on this matter.

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ing%20Install/

Jeff

1988 IROC Tech page:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 09, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Jeff thanks for posting the pictures and running this thread. What a great resource. This was an excellent reminder for where the $*#@ this bracket goes... since I took it off about 8 mos ago and forgot. Confusing piece of metal to look at, to say the least.

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode