What is this - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

What is this

On a power disk brake car, there is little round thing that mounts to the booster. The line from it goes into the front tapped hole of the master cylinder. Have not seen this before. I will try to get a pic later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Art

Re: What is this

This?

Artie

67 Camaro
99 T/A Daily Driver

Previous:
67 Camaro Traded for my 98
68 Camaro Street/Strip
98 Camaro Race car Best ET 9.08 @ 152 1.18 60'

Dyno sheets don't win races, see you at the track
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

not sure? what is it? Poportioning valve?

1969 X66 PROJECT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 C5 COUPE ELECTRON BLUE SOLD
1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SOLD
1964 CHEVY II 406 SOLD

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SLOW64 View Post
not sure? what is it? Poportioning valve?
yes that's what it is!

68 SS CAMARO 355,victor jr. intake,performer rpm heads,Quick Fuel carb,Isky z-27 solid cam,TKO 600,4.11 12 bolt,Hotchkis springs front & rear,Flowmaster exhst.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGN View Post
This?
Yea, does that come on all Power disk brake cars?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech
T

Pretty sure that's the hold-off valve. Basically prevents fluid flow to the front brakes until some pressure threshold is reached. This lets the rear (drum) brakes take up the slack in the system and apply slightly before the fronts start to do any work. Net effect is (allegedly) a stabilizing effect (since the rear brakes will tend to straighten out the car when applied LIGHTLY) and reduced front brake pad wear (presumably by increasing the rear drum wear a bit and letting the rear brakes act a bit sooner).

At some point (1971?) GM rolled the prop valve, distribution block , hold-off valve, etc. all into a one-piece combo valve, but I think "everything" with front discs and rear drums in the 67-70 range had these.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post
Pretty sure that's the hold-off valve. Basically prevents fluid flow to the front brakes until some pressure threshold is reached. This lets the rear (drum) brakes take up the slack in the system and apply slightly before the fronts start to do any work. Net effect is (allegedly) a stabilizing effect (since the rear brakes will tend to straighten out the car when applied LIGHTLY) and reduced front brake pad wear (presumably by increasing the rear drum wear a bit and letting the rear brakes act a bit sooner).

At some point (1971?) GM rolled the prop valve, distribution block , hold-off valve, etc. all into a one-piece combo valve, but I think "everything" with front discs and rear drums in the 67-70 range had these.
Thanks, that is interesting and informative. This is the first disk brake first gen car I have had.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Yep, that's the hold-off/metering valve. The prop valve is the one down on the subframe under the driver's side door.

From JohnZ

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...90&postcount=9

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 03:33 PM
Banned

I hope JohnZ is lurking b/c this is the 1st time I've heard about a prop valve being mounted down by the lower frame??

I thought that was the 10 pound rear drum brake residual hold-off valve and if it isn't, I need to remove it so my new A/M adjustable prop valve works right for my "pdqCBB" setup.

I made sure that my rebuilt P/B M/C doesn't have any residual valves behind both line port seats so need to double-check this little ditty..........

pdq67

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Paul - you don't need the metering valve with 4 wheel disc brakes. Of course - in your case - it doesn't really matter on a car that sits in the garage and hasn't moved under its own power for what now - 10 years?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
I hope JohnZ is lurking b/c this is the 1st time I've heard about a prop valve being mounted down by the lower frame??

I thought that was the 10 pound rear drum brake residual hold-off valve and if it isn't, I need to remove it so my new A/M adjustable prop valve works right for my "pdqCBB" setup.

I made sure that my rebuilt P/B M/C doesn't have any residual valves behind both line port seats so need to double-check this little ditty..........

pdq67
4-wheel drum brake cars won't have a prop valve on the frame (no prop valve at all). I haven't seen a factory disc car, but the factory assy manual does show the valve located on the frame/subframe area under the driver's door opening....

And yeah, having 2 prop valves in series isn't recommended, so best bet is to remove it if you've got one...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 04:34 PM
Banned

Red face Re: What is this

I know, I know BPOS!!

In my best Lou Costello voice, "I'm a baaaaaaad boy"!!....

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode