basic drum to disc brake conversion -which brand? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

basic drum to disc brake conversion -which brand?

I'm looking to buy a power disc brake conversion kit and I have seen price ranges from $600 to $1000 for a basic kit. I am not looking for anything fancy but I am trying to stay with an original appearance. A friend of mine said to make sure the parts are quality and made in Canada or USA. What questions should I ask or where is a good deal to get a kit.

Here is a local ad that I want to look into for the front disc brake conversion.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)

Last edited by johnny67; Mar 1st, 09 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Re: basic drum to disc brake conversion -which brand?

got mine from from matts. http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/index1.html
$475 and it was perfect. easy to install and complete. very nice people to deal with.

Don't stop now!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 01:34 PM
Banned

That is a 100 percent stock type kit so you will be fine!

The only thing you may need to look out for is that you may need disc rims if you want to run stock steel rims! Some 14" stock rims clear here too! otherwise it's 15".

The disc rims have a different inner rim rolled contour than the drum rims for caliper clearance!

good luck w/ your install.

pdq67

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Yes I have 15" ralleys pdq. It looks like this brake kit is supplied By MBM in North Carolina. I think this is starting to look like a good deal, they even have a video on instalation.

http://www.mbmbrakeboosters.com/Standard.html

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

We sell a lot fo those kits. they are 69 Camaro style kits and worlk on all 3 years of first egn. We sel them for $500 and $80 shipping on the east coast, $100 shipping to the west. They are in stock.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
We sell a lot fo those kits. they are 69 Camaro style kits and worlk on all 3 years of first egn. We sel them for $500 and $80 shipping on the east coast, $100 shipping to the west. They are in stock.
Frank is this brake kit all American made?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 06:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Right Stuff Detailing makes a fine kit also, they also have new lines available as a kit.

Thats what i used on mine and everything worked out great, no issues whatsoever.
(can;t confirm where everything was made though, you might give them a call to see)

Rob

67 base convertible, GMPP 350/330 HO, TKO500....
Taken around the block for the first time 12/2/07

Finaly getting some paint Sept. 2009

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

They ALL buy from MBM. Buy the same exact stuff on Ebay for half that price.
Considering you're in Canada I would buy local since shipping and duty is a factor for you. If you should have a warranty issue it's better for you to deal locally.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

We also have The Right Sruff which is nice stuff. And have awesome deals on full 4 wheel conversions.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

How big of a difference in stopping ability will there be when I go from front drum to the front disc set up?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 01:49 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny67 View Post
Yes I have 15" ralleys pdq. It looks like this brake kit is supplied By MBM in North Carolina. I think this is starting to look like a good deal, they even have a video on instalation.

http://www.mbmbrakeboosters.com/Standard.html
www.piratejack.net is MBM's online store where they sell to the general public- they have a free shipping deal going on until the end of the month. they have a stock type single piston front disc brake kit that comes with EVERYTHING for $424. i don't know where they source their parts, tho.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 08:39 AM
Tech Team
Marty

It will be a huge difference. I made this swap on my 68 last winter. Although I do not drive it much, the difference is amazing. No more "stomp and pray" like with the drums. Also, I do not miss the "which way will it pull this time" effect that I got with the drums. I got mine from Right Stuff and replaced all of the lines as well.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny67 View Post
Frank is this brake kit all American made?

They are ALL made in Asia however appear to be good quality.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 05:06 PM
Banned

You want the CHEAPEST stock part from GM big brake disc setup going, then install my "pdqCBB" 13" 1988 'Vette front and 11.75" 1989 Camaro rear rotor setup BUT you will need to fab the front and rear caliper brackets or get them from Brian and Doug.

Fwiw, my front big, single piston caliper bracket cardboard template is FREE for FREE if you PM me.

The rear use's 1980 Cad Seville e-brake calipers like stock T/A late '70's disc equipped rearends used but w/ 11.75" dia. rotors....

And everything is on my car now!!

pdq67

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

I'm curious what the difference is for the power brake conversion kit from Classic industries which costs $979 part #MD123A compared to the other kits with the same amount of parts for $599. With that much of a difference in price there has to be some sort of quality upgrade??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode