Question about Hotchkis TVS system? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question about Hotchkis TVS system?

I have the Hotchkis TVS system with their bilstein HPS 1000 shocks front and rear. Out on the highway and smooth roads it handles great, but on my local bad roads the ride is quite bumpy and harsh. My question is do you think the ride is so bumpy on my local roads do to the front springs and rear leafs or due to the shocks? I am asking because I am debating if I want to use the same setup on my 68 Chevy II, but thinking maybe to go with different shocks so the ride is not so bumpy on my local roads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Question about Hotchkis TVS system?

I would guess it's the springs. Shorter and stiffer than factory. I have the same set-up (no rear bar) but with GR-2's, which aren't anywhere near as nice a shock as the Bilsteins and it's pretty harsh on a bumpy road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 02:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Same here Hotchkis front/rear lowering leafs and springs with GR-2's and its very very very stiff.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Same here Hotchkis front/rear lowering leafs and springs with GR-2's and its very very very stiff.
What wheels and tires are you guys running, any clearance issues?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 02:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

As unpopular as composite leaf springs are, your might still consider trying them.

I have Flex-a-Form composites - 225 lb./in. in the back of my '68 Camaro, and found the ride to be much smoother, even over bumps, than with the (I think) 175 lb./in. Hotchkis 2407C's I had before. The difference is that the composite springs react faster than steel spings do, so bumps are more readily absorbed.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 02:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

I have the 18" Billet Raleys form www.wheelvintiques.com

Fronts rims are 18x7 with 4" backspace and stock disk brakes...
Front tires are 245/40/18s BF Goodrich G-Force....(NO RUBBING)

Rear rims are 18x9.5 with 5.5 back space and stock drum brakes...
Rear tires are 285/40/18s BF Goodrich G-Force (slightly rub next size tires will be 275/40/18)

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Let's see if I can remember this.

Wheels are American CL-205
Front 17x8 4.75 bs 235/45-17 Potenza RE-750
Rear 17x9.5 5.5 bs 275/40-17 Potenza RE-750
Brakes are C5 Front Discs/C4 Rear Discs

No rubs, trimmed slightly the rear fender lip on the right only.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

A leaf spring by design uses the arch in the spring to help support the weight of the car. When you lower the car, you flatten the spring and to compensate for that lake of arch, the spring must be made stiffer. Also, stiffer springs equal less body roll. So the bottom line is stiffer is better (insert dirty thought here) for handling. But rides not so nice as stock
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I have the Hotchkis package on my '69 with KYB shocks. Handles great but I find the ride quality pretty harsh. I'm running old school rallys with 60 series tires. I have been looking into replacing the shocks with Konis or Bilsteins but am not going to spend the dough if it does not change the ride quality dramatically.
Not trying to hijack the thread but has anyone upgraded from the KYB or similar stiff shocks to a Koni, Bilstein or similar and found a much better ride quality? $500 in shocks is a lot to spend and wind up disappointed.

1969 Camaro
Electric Blue Lacquer Paint
355/400 HP, M-21 4-Speed, 8.5 10-Bolt 4:11 Posi
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 06:53 PM
David Pozzi

We have the Hotchkis second gen kit and the Bilsteins are nice, not all that stiff, in fact, we found them to be a bit soft for autocrossing and bought adjustable shocks to get more stiffness. Tire type makes a huge difference in ride too, our DOT autocross tires make for a horrible ride on the street.

I think the Hotchkis springs are better suited for use with wider wheels and tires than 15" wheels and 60 series tires.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
We have the Hotchkis second gen kit and the Bilsteins are nice, not all that stiff, in fact, we found them to be a bit soft for autocrossing and bought adjustable shocks to get more stiffness. Tire type makes a huge difference in ride too, our DOT autocross tires make for a horrible ride on the street.

I think the Hotchkis springs are better suited for use with wider wheels and tires than 15" wheels and 60 series tires.
David
I am putting 18x8 fronts with 245/40/18 nittos and 18x9 rear with 275/40/18 nittos, so are you saying the ride will get better? Currently have 15x7/15x8 rallys with I think 245/60/15.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal69 View Post
I have the Hotchkis package on my '69 with KYB shocks. Handles great but I find the ride quality pretty harsh. I'm running old school rallys with 60 series tires. I have been looking into replacing the shocks with Konis or Bilsteins but am not going to spend the dough if it does not change the ride quality dramatically.
Not trying to hijack the thread but has anyone upgraded from the KYB or similar stiff shocks to a Koni, Bilstein or similar and found a much better ride quality? $500 in shocks is a lot to spend and wind up disappointed.
I run hotchkiss springs with KYB's. Car is pretty harsh.
Switching to QA1's next weekend, though we are still a month shy of Chicago's ragtop season, so she probably won't get out for a while.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Switching to QA1's next weekend, though we are still a month shy of Chicago's ragtop season, so she probably won't get out for a while.
Please reply when you do get out with them because they were what I was thinking for the next option. Thanks
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 07:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
X2 Jim please let use know why and how you like them better when you get out for a ride.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

We sell a lot of QA1 and combine them with hotckkis often. I can tell you the QA1s will ride very nice on a setting of 4 or so, then turn them up to 6 or 7 for Autocross.

Also, the Hotchkis / Bilstiens ride much better then KYBs, but then again, anything rides better then KYBs, LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode