coil springs - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
machi

Angry coil springs

trying to install big block springs in my 69 frame which is out of the car and been powder coated but cant seem to get them in, any suggestions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: coil springs

A piece of allthread thru the top & bottom shock mount holes and some big nuts & washers. Be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 02:20 PM
Tech Team
Howard

Machi,I did this as well to my 69'.Here is a post I sent to another forum.Go to advanced Auto parts and rent their coil spring compressor.(when you return it they refun your rental amount in full,FREEBIE!)2225616]O.K. John and Keith,here's what I did to make it work...I put the top Hooks (the one w/ the centered threads for the rod) on the 3rd coil from the top of the spring.Then I used a 1/4" thick by 3" wide (it has a 1"center hole)flat washer on the bottom side of the lower control arm "shock hole".I did not ever use the bottom hooks,(the ones w/o the center threads).With the upper hooks and washer in place,I run the long compressing bolt through the washer and threaded it to the upper hooks and started tightening and compressed the spring.This method allowed me to do 2 things...!st was to be able to lift up the spring into the spring hole in the frame,2nd after that,I could attach the upper control arm to the spindel.Once the 2 control arms are attached to the spindel,you can loosen the spring compresser bolt.The spring coils should now be open enough to turn the upper hooks sideways and pull through the coils,or come out through the lower shock hole.(This is why you set the upper hooks on the 3rd coil at the beginning otherwise if you had put the upper hooks at the top..it now would be pinned between the coil and the frame) I posted this several days ago,Hope this helps.
__________________[/quote]

Just Having fun with all My Big Block Toys!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 04:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

I also installed mine sorta like Howard. Only I used the bottom hooks close to halfway down the spring. Used a large washer above the top shock hole and ratcheted it from the top. Once it was compressed enough, I raised the lower control arm and put the nut on the ball joint. Then backed off the allthread until I was able to drop the allthread through the bottom shock hole. Be sure to line up the spring to the groves top and bottom. I wasn't lucky enough to get the hook out through the spring but I was able to get the hooks through the bottom shock hole by positioning the hooks up and down. I installed the standard spring not a drop spring. Remember to chain the spring to the control arm just in case. Better to be safe then without a leg or worse. Good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
machi

I love this web site so far ive had every Question answered thanks ill try those ideas
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

yupp.. the Advance Auto tool rental~program is the way to go,, no doubt.
my rental tool "turned" in the coils, so be sure when you start,, the spring is completely compressed and secured.
I highly advise AGAINST using an impact wrench to turn the securing nut; you need to "feel" the tool's / spring's tension force.
patience and caution are your best allies.

'69 SS X66 Camaro
454, TH400 & GearVendor, 12 bolt
'82 Corvette.
stock
'81 Camaro Pro Bracket car.
406, TH350, 10 bolt, NHRA #3148
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Be sure to look down inside the frame from where the front bumper mounts to make sure the spring is seated where it belongs, otherwise you will have to do it over again after the car is all assembled. btdt

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 04:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

Oh hey one more thing. Don't forget to install your upper control arm rubber bumpers BEFORE you install the spring. Thats a lesson I learned the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode