Upper Shock Mounts - will this work? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Upper Shock Mounts - will this work?

Trying to get my hellwig rear sway bar to fit. Only solution I can come up with is to move the shocks so they are behind the axle.

I have short shocks, so they will fit in this new spot (already measured).

Here's a shot of where I want to put an upper shock mount. This is pretty much a straight shot up right behind the rear axle tube.

Here's a rough idea of what the bracket would look like. I would have the top boxed in so it wouldn't flex and would make it not be so far away from the frame. Black dots are mounting spots to the frame.

I'd make it so it was large enough to house the upper shock end and put the bolt through the sides.

The lower mount is on the traction bar now. I'd just weld a mount to move the lower mounting position near the rear u-bolts instead of the front ones. Right now, I don't get any wheel hop, so I think I'd like to keep the bars. For road racing/auto-cross, are there any problems caused by leaving the bars in?

I checked for clearance on both sides and the shock will not hit anything. I'll have enough travel with the shocks I currently have.

Moving these shocks will allow me to put the sway bar where it needs to go. The sway bar is adjustable, so I'll put it on it's softest setting to avoid having too much firmness in the rear.

I think the mounts will be mounted firmly to the frame and the metal I'll use for the 'box mount' will be strong enough to avoid any flex.

I really don't have any other options. I can't find another sway bar that will fit, can't find any other shock mounting solutions that will work and I don't want to change out the rear leafs (trying to keep it cost effective).

Tell me if this will work?

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 12:51 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Upper Shock Mounts - will this work?

Dan,
If you want the car to handle it's best, then the traction bars should go. A good leaf like DSE, Global West, or Hotchkis is best and you won't need any traction bars with them.
Can you switch back to stock shock mounting if you take off the traction bars? If not, moving the shocks to the rear would be OK.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
erik

From what I have read running a rear swaybar on a first gen is really a bad idea that causes oversteering badly. Before I went to all this I would shoot a line to david pozzie and ask his opinion or Frank with Prodigy. They would know better than most and it wouldn't be a guess!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I could buy some new leafs and some shock mounting plates that will keep the shocks inboard and behind the axle. I'm trying to keep it on a bit of a budget now (mainly because I want to buy some track tires for the Sebring event). With the bars left on for now, is the handling on that track going to be bad or dangerous?

When I bought the bar from SC&C, I was told that with mono leafs, and the adjustable rear bar on the softer setting...that the rear bar would help a lot. You have to worry if you have stiffer multi-leafs and a thick bar...that makes the rear end kick out on you.

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode