Shocks for lowered cars? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Shocks for lowered cars?

I am about to install some front lowering springs (Eibach) on a 68 and wandered if there were any problems with shocks on lowered vehicles. I noticed one shock manufacturer mentioned for stock ride height and wandered if their were problems finding shocks for lowered vehicles or if it was even a concern. The springs I am using are listed as lowering the car 1"-1-1/2"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

Re: Shocks for lowered cars?

Look up the specs on your current shock to see what the shock travel is. Then measure your shock as it sits now with the car on the ground.

Then see how it looks once you put the lower springs in the car. I think I read that your shock needs to have about 1 1/2" or so of travel to be safe. That might be just for the rears...try doing a search to see if you can confirm that.

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 10:58 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

From my own experiences as well all the accounts in the forums, shocks made for a stock 1st gen should not be a problem with up to a 2" drop.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech

I was able to use OE replacement shocks on my 68 with the Eibachs. be advised that either the Eibachs do not drop as much as advertised, or the "stock height" they used when estimating their drop is a lot higher than we all remember. More like 0.5 inch drop is what most of us have seen.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Everyone, thanks for your input. That disclaimer I ran across just got me to thinking that there might be some type of problem. The Eibachs will probably raise my car as I have a broken coil spring that has broken and lodged itself inside the rest of the spring. I am not looking forward to removing that spring as it looks very dangerous.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4info View Post
Everyone, thanks for your input. That disclaimer I ran across just got me to thinking that there might be some type of problem. The Eibachs will probably raise my car as I have a broken coil spring that has broken and lodged itself inside the rest of the spring. I am not looking forward to removing that spring as it looks very dangerous.
It's not as bad as it seems. Just do a search for front spring removal. Then for safety run a chain or bike cable done through the center of the spring and around the subframe. That way if it does come flying out it isn't going anywhere. I used the Eibachs also on my 69.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode