bushing need a sleeve? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

bushing need a sleeve?

Does the rear spring eye have a sleeve that the 2 bushings fit into.Bought new shackle bushings ,rubber ones, and are sloppy in the spring eye.Any ideas on what to use if they need a sleeve? 69 multi leaf ,thanks Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 09:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: bushing need a sleeve?

Yes...the bushing should come wit an outer sleve already on them
Need to take the springs off the car, put in a press and press out the old ones and press the new ones in
Make sure that you mark left and right spring
And the job is far easier if you drop the fuel tank out

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 11:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Hey Steps that might be true for the front eye but he said rear. I never pulled the tank to do mine and I don't think the flat rate manual I got paid from gave enough time to do that. I use a "flat ratchet" (ratcheting box wrench) to take the rear off and alot of time a "smoke wrench" on the front bolt cuz the clip nuts broke. I can only guess that he's got the wrong bushings if the are loose in the spring eye. Should be snug with no sleeve and the bolts are stepped and snug inside.

Jeff

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Maybe these are replacement springs or there's that much gap from rust. Bushings from Rick, ss-5,measure 1.55 across,rear spring eye is about 1.65
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I did my multi leaf about 4 weeks ago.....got one rear side off, was getting anoid at the small space and thinking "I have to get these bolts back in" then removed the tank..the tank is easy,10 mins if that, just a couple nuts and a long reach socket, pull the wire and hose clip its out...whole job less than 2 hrs... mind you I havnt put the tank back in as I havnt used it since about 1984.

There is a detailed thread about 4 weeks ago on the subject...full instructions where to support body, diff etc

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

after really looking I think the spring eye is corroded,thought about a sleeve,jb weld,but I don't think I should trust this old set.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

How what did u use to press the old bushes out with?
I doubt very much it would be over size because of corrosion simply because of the nature of the spring steel...If that was coroded to that extent then I would be very suspect of corrosion of the leafs themselves.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

I knocked them out with an air chisel ,and I will be ordering a new set of springs.Thanks for the responses Paul
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Ok....
Quote:
Does the rear spring eye have a sleeve that the 2 bushings fit into.Bought new shackle bushings ,rubber ones, and are sloppy in the spring eye.Any ideas on what to use if they need a sleeve?
Yes the correct bushes have outter sleeves already pressed over the rubber bushes
It sounds like u have the wrong parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode