Residual Pressure Valve? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Residual Pressure Valve?

I'm getting some "pad-knockback" in the rear brakes, and I'd like to put a 2lb RVP in it to hold a lil pressure...

I "thought" I'd had a willwood valve in my last order, but it looks like I goofed.

Does anyone have a part # for a 2lb RVP I can pick up at Auto Zone or Napa?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 09, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Residual Pressure Valve?

I just thought I'd take a minute to fill this in for info.

I have wilwood's manual disk system, with 4 piston dynalite calipers and 12.2" rotors on all four.
System works great except every once in a while, the pedal is low, not soft, just low. Sometimes very low, sometimes lights the brake light. A single pump brings it back up.

Talking to Mark, we theorized that with the fixed calipers and the c clip rear letting the axles move in and out a bit, the pistons were getting knocked back off the disks in the back.

Mark suggested I try a 2 lb residual pressure valve, thinking that would help keep the pads on the rotors.

So, that Saturday when I posted this question, I ended up going to finish line performance in Joliet, and they had the wilwood valve in stock. I have a 2 peice rear brake line, so I just unscrewed it and put the valve in in place of the coupler.

problem solved. I've put a hundred fifty miles on the car the past 2 days, and the pedal is right where it should be ALL the time.

This probably wouldn't be an issue with most brakes cause they use floating calipers which can move with the axles. It's not a problem with Ford ends or c clip eliminators, cause they positively secure the axles in place.
With c-clips though, the axles can move in and out maybe 1/16", and that's enough to push the pistons in and give a low pedal.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 09, 09:38 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

I had the same problem Jim until I put the Moser with Ford ends in. Good to know that the residual valve would have helped.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 09, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Cool Jim, thanks for sharing!

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rvp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode