brake help...please! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

brake help...please!

have been messing with what i thought was a simple project all afternoon. have a 68 camaro that originally had standard drum brakes. it was upgraded to power assisted drum brakes. I did not drive it for about 4 months and went to use it and discovered I had very little brake pedal. No fluid leaks and the master cylinder was full. I figured it must be an internal master cylinder problem----cheap, easy fix. Took the old one off, not knowing for sure what would replace it, and carried it with me. A 1969 master cylinder seemed to match perfect, so i bench bleed it and bolted it on. lines were perfect and started bleeding the lines. Well two hours later, still bleeding and the pedal level is still at about the same postion it was with the old master cylinder. no leaks, no fluid loss, just can not get but about an inch of pedal at most. I now think think the old cylinder was probably ok as this one is giving same problems. The brakes will lock on dirt....and all 4 wheels are braking------just no pedal as it is on the floor when this happens. Thanks for any help offered!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech

Re: brake help...please!

I would think you instaled new lines up ft anyway. If so it suprised me how hard it was to get air to move down hill to the bleeder. I ended up useing a power bleeder. It could also be the need for changing the location the push rod where it conects to the pedal. there may be two holes check that to. What type of valve do you have on it now? 70s style is popular with many kits.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i don't think new lines were installed, but not sure. someone else did that work. everything was fine until car sat for about 4 months. the replacement cylinder appeared identical except it did not have bleeder screws on the cyclinder itsself at the lines. the lines lined up perfect and were the correct size.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

new piece of the puzzle

i went back to the original i removed and discovered a stamped number on it. it cross references to a 1967 -1969 impala as well as some c-10 trucks. I am now thinking the person who converted this used an impala booster and mastercylinder set----and perhaps that is my problem why i can not get the master cylinder that i bought today----a 1969 camaro drum w/booster model----to bleed. anyone know if either the push length of the cylinder or perhaps the volume it pumps could cause my problem? i am curious if these are standard with all master cylinders or if they vary. thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 06:33 PM
Kevin

When I upgraded my drum to power, I used the MC for a drum/disc application. Put the pedal rod in the lower hole and it was perfect. I bench bled the MC and power bled the lines. It is rock solid. Did you put the booster rod in the lower hole of the brake pedal?

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 06:37 PM
Banned
Ron

If you just have a low brake pedal and the pedal doesn't feel spongy, you've successfully bled them!.....All you'll need to do to raise the brake pedal is simply adjust the brakes self adjusters out and hope the adjusters are not frozen while attempting this!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

all this was already done.....and worked fine. just sat for three months and when i went to use it, had not pedal----thus figured master cylinder had internal leak. did not remove booster.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I have had sucess with just cracking the bleeders and letting it sit overnight.....just a crack and make sure mc is full.

67 Camaro 327/4sp
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Start from the beginning.
Is the master good, is it bled well? Remove the lines, and block off the ports to the master, with it installed on the car. bleed the master, the pedal should be rock hard and very little play in the pedal, maybe an inch.
If the pedal is hard, and pedal does not move much, the problem is not the master.

Try this and let us know.
Dale

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

swapping masters again first today. got a master that the stamped part number on it was cross referenced rather than going by what parts books said. will see if i notice any change.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 08:46 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

did you bench bleed the master?

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Dale

You can measure the bore of the master, it should be 1 1/8"
Dale

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode