Wilwood master cylinder - Halfass polishing job? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Wilwood master cylinder - Halfass polishing job?

Anyone out there with a Wilwood M/C notice if their M/C is not polished on the front or back as good as it is on each of the sides?
See pics below of mine. Almost like the guy that was polishing took a cig brake and then came back and forgot to finish the job.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: Wilwood master cylinder - Halfass polishing job?

I sent a message to Wilwood to see what they have to say about this...

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 10:46 PM
Senior Tech
sako

Man, i thought it was just mine.I just bought one too,and mine looks like that too. That is bull. Let me know what their response is.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Sorry to hear you got the same deal but I am glad that it's not just my pickyness. I will let you know what they say. Did you buy yours directly from Wilwood or some other outfit? Below is the message I sent them:

To: [email protected]
Subject: Wilwood 7/8 Master Cylinder
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 22:41:16 -0500

Should your tandem 7/8 bore Polished MC (260-9439P) be polished all the way around? Mine finally came in and the sides look great but the front and back looks like someone forgot to finish the job. Please see attached pictures. If I knew this was the case, I would NOT have ordered it. Please let know your feedback.

Very annoyed/disappointed as I have a lot more Wilwood parts on the way and my confidence just took a major hit,
Matt Lekawa

Matt

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
sako

I got mine from Jegs.com
I seen some installed on different cars, and have noticed this before.
Thats why i thought this was normal, but its not.
The more i look at it the uglier i looks. I just want to take it off my car and send it back...
The other thing that pissed me off was that it does not come with a bench bleed kit.
Did you install yours? How does it work?
I installed mine but still cant get it to work right.Im not getting fluid to the rear. Maybe just got to readjust some more.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I got mine from Summit. I haven't plumbed it yet but I did bolt it on. From a distance it looks OK but up close you can certainly tell the non polished part. Of course I know about it so my eyes focus on the flaw. I just don't get the reasoning for this flaw, seems like an easy fix to me. Not sure what I am going to do. Going to hear their reasoning first. One option would be to finish the job yourself but I shouldn't have to do that given I paid for it to be polished. Regarding getting fluid to the rears...I don't think it's the MC, at least it shouldn't be. Did you install the prop valve? If so, have you tried adjusting it? Did you bleed the lines? I know I seen several threads on this here so try a quick search...

Matt

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Here is a good one regarding no fluid to the rears...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...id+rear+brakes

Matt

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech
sako

My prop valve is the same one that was on there when i changed the/mc.i did not unscrew the line at the valve and did not see and adjusters on there.
Im going to check the lines starting from the prop valve to all the way to the drums on back.
The only thing is that i have to make sure the push rod is adjusted right.Maybe it does not go all the way to open up the rear port inside the master cylinder.

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
sako

Hey Matt, what kind of system are you running with the 7/8 bore. You have manual brakes?
You mentioned you have more part on the way. Are going with their disk brakes and did you find any good deals out there?
Let me know.
Thanks man

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

The best deals on Wilwood come from us.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I am running (or will be eventually) manual 4 disc brakes. My 68 came with manual drums all the way around. It's Wilwood's Dynilite Big Brake kit with 12.19 slotted/drilled rotors and 4 piston red calps for the front. Part number 140-7675DR, D for Drilled, R for Red. I ordered the front kit but I am still waiting for it as it's on back order. I haven't ordered the back kit yet as I am redoing my rear end first. But when the 12 bolt rear end is ready, I will be ordering Dynalite Pro Series Rear Parking Brake Kit. Rotors and calps will match what I have in the front. Part number 140-7149DR or 140-7141DR depending on the desired offset. Also got Wilwood's adjustable prop valve, part number 260-8419. You already know the scoop on the MC. I am also redoing the entire front and back suspension using all Global West parts. For more info on this check out this thread: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151501

I shopped around for a while and there are a lot of deals out there. There are some kits out there for less but you get less. Smaller rotors, less than 4 piston calps, etc. Looks and quality were important to me and this is why I ended up with Wilwood. A lot of good threads here about Wilwood, including from Frank/Prodigy (who by the way does have great deals). I get just about all of my stuff through Summit Racing for two reasons. One, they will match anyone's price on the same product even though their prices tend to be darn close to low most of the time and two, they offer same as cash financing for 12 months via their Summit credit card. Some places advertise the basic kit but then you find out that it's extra for the drilled/slotted rotors and for red calipers. $100 extra for this and a $100 extra for that and next thing you know you are at or above the Summit's price. As long as you make sure you pay the balance off in 12 months, you can’t beat the “free money” and it’s much less hit on the wallet as you’re paying it off in smaller chunks at a time. Not by any means am I pumping or promoting Summit as I had my run-ins with them as well. They have sent me some crap before that just about made me puke. I do like a lot the 12 month free money though, especially in today's economy and it lets me hide all my camaro purchases from my wife.

Matt

Last edited by zlek131; Mar 10th, 09 at 11:15 AM.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Update on the MC.
As expected I haven't heard back from Wilwood as most "contact us" emails goto "do not bother us" bucket anyway. So, I called them today. Even though I was very nice, the tech was somewhat defensive. He kept reminding me that this is not a true polish. I kept reminding him that I am not calling about a true polish but rather the fact if the polish should be consistent all the way around. He did hands down agree with me that it should be consistent all the way around. When I told him that I have heard from other people with the same issue, he said he has never heard any complaints before. He encouraged me to send it back to Summit for an exchange. I contacted Summit and told them the scoop. They told me to send it back and indicate the problem so they can inspect a new one and make sure it does not have the same issue before they send it to me. Unfortunately the shipping costs will have to come out of my pocket...bunch of bull if you ask me but I am not going to bicker over a few bucks as I have better things to spend my time on.

Matt

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech
sako

Matt,
did you use the rubber boot that comes with the m/c, the one that goes on the push rod?
Is that really needed on there?

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 11:47 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
When I told him that I have heard from other people with the same issue, he said he has never heard any complaints before. He encouraged me to send it back to Summit for an exchange. I contacted Summit and told them the scoop. They told me to send it back and indicate the problem so they can inspect a new one and make sure it does not have the same issue before they send it to me. Unfortunately the shipping costs will have to come out of my pocket...
This comes up frequently, it seems guys just don't get "contacting the manufacture" when there is a problem. Glad to here you did... As for shipping, it's another thing we over look when buying online and mailorder. It should be a no brainer that with defective products the shipping is on the retailer or manufacture. Unfortunately the retailer and manufacture don't always see it the same. Consumers need to be aware of shipping policys before choosing who you are doing business. I'd rather pay 10% more for a mailorder product if I knew the vendor would pick up the return shipping if needed... If you got it from Summit at least you only paid a handling fee and not shipping to get it to begin with.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Ah the little rubber boot! Funny you should ask because when I initially bolted on the M/C I forgot to put the boot on. As I walking past my workbench with my old M/C and its rubber boot, I instantly knew I screwed up. I would think you want the boot on. My guess is it's there to prevent dust, moisture and crud from getting in.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode