Rag Joint Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Rag Joint Questions

I got a new-used steering box from Frank at Prodigy. The rag joint has a set screw and does not have a pinch bolt. The set screw is rotated 45-degrees from vertical so that it does not line up with the flat spot on the steering gear.

What do you think of rotating the rag joint so the set screw is on the splines and not on the flat spot. The gear is a 36-spline gear?

Should I move the electrical connectors/wires from my original rag joint over to the new rag joint?

Thanks
Dave H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Rag Joint Questions

I am not sure about your explanation of a set screw at 45 degrees. Can you post a picture of this rag joint? Don't forget you are steering your vehicle down the road through this connection. You don't want anything that could be unsafe.

Jim
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 06:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

you should not be able to "clock" the joint on the steering box. it should have splines all the way around with a flat spot so it can only go on 1 way. the end from the column could be flipped 180* (i think)

Don't stop now!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

I'll post a picture tonight (if I can figure that out).

I talked with Frank this morning and he said I should pull my steering wheel and rotate it 45-degrees so I can put the set screw on the flat spot.

The posts on the rag joint will be at 45-degrees and not straight up (12 o'clock) when I am going straight down the road.

Dave H.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Like Mark... it only goes on 1 way around...center the box center the steerring wheel and u will also see the 2 nuts and bolts are slightly dif sizes ..so it only goes together 1 way
Some cars can have the steering wheel centered by the slpine at the top of the column..camaro doesnt...the steering box, column sharft and steering wheel all go on 1 way.(otherwise u will also have issues with indicator retun and horn assemble line up later) then the toe in is set with the tie rods ...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Please look at this photo. This is a ATS 670 box. The set screw is on the steering gear flat spot (Steering gear is centered). The rag joint post that slips into the notch on the steering column is off 45-degrees and at this point so is my steering wheel.

My plan is to pull the steering wheel and rotate it 45-degrees.

Is there a problem with this plan?

As you can see the steering gear flat spot and the post on the rag joint cannot both be at 12 o'clock at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RagJoint.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	9534  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 06:42 PM
Chris

Off subject. sorry , will the interier , motor , front clip ect. off of a 1999 or 1998 model camaro bolt in and fit on a 1994 model camaro ?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Okay, here is a picture of just the rag joint. Should I try and return the entire gear box and rag joint? Will I be able to adjust the turn signal cancel point? I am a real beginner here and can use all the help you can offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RagJoint.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	9535  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech

The photographs are very helpful. I have never seen a flange that connects to the gear input shaft like the one in your pictures. The screw that preloads the splines is not nearly as secure as a OEM design production flange. I would not use it.

With a production flange, when you tighten the pinch bolt the flange actually "wraps" around the gear input shaft. This prevents any motion between the flange splines and the input shaft splines. The pinch bolt also passes through a notch or groove in the input shaft and prevents the flange from pulling off just as long as the pinch bolt is in place.

I strongly urge that you purchase a OEM replacement flange assembly. First of all you will need to determine the diameter of the input shaft on your gear. The shaft is either 13/16 or 3/4 in diameter. The 13/16 input shaft was used until 1977. After that time it was 3/4 diameter. Hopefully your shaft is 3/4 because this flange assembly is a lot easier to find.

The following vehicles (with power steering) were produced with flexible couplings that will attach to a gear with a 3/4 input shaft:

1977 thru 1982 Chevrolet and GMC C/K (2 wheel and 4 wheel drive) Pickup Trucks
1977 and 1978 Camaro, Firebird, and Nova
1979 Nova
1983 thru 1986 Chevrolet and GMC C (2 wheel drive only) Pickup Trucks

I have found a flexible coupling in the GM parts system that will connect to a ¾ input shaft. It is available through GM dealers. It is part number 7826542. It is fairly expensive (well over $100 list) but it is brand new. There are probably other A and F-car suppliers that have this flexible coupling available as well as Tom Lee of Lee Manufacturing in Sun Valley, California (818) 768-0371 at lower prices.

You will most likely require the attaching pinch bolt, nuts, and lock washers in order to attach your new flexible coupling. The correct special pinch bolt is GM #7807271. This bolt can be purchased from any GM dealer or from many automotive suppliers. Please note, if the flange on the steering column or the flange on the separate intermediate steering shaft (I-shaft) is also detachable, this same special pinch bolt is used to attach that flange as well.

Jim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Thanks,
I really appreciate the time you invested to make this reply. The search goes on.
Dave H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode