Hotchkis lowering springs sits too high? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Hotchkis lowering springs sits too high?

I just installed Hotchkis 2'' lowering springs on my iron head bbc and it sits waaay to high! Will it settle after driving?

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
Casey

Re: Hotchkis lowering springs sits too high?

Mine settled some after awhile/driving (Hotchkis for small block car). Also make sure you have the springs in correctly and indexed in the spring pockets up inside the frame. If not, that could add some height.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 07:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdunson View Post
Mine settled some after awhile/driving (Hotchkis for small block car). Also make sure you have the springs in correctly and indexed in the spring pockets up inside the frame. If not, that could add some height.
X2 Also a wheel alignment will and can change the hight.. I think mine sits from the center of the rim measure from the ground to the fender lip, mine is about 25 3/4 inches....

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
Casey

OR.. you just need a bigger big block? : )
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 08:02 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Measure from the center of the wheel (hub) up to the fender lip.

I have the small block Hotchkis drop springs and mine measure:

Front: +-1/8" of 12"
Rear: +-1/8" of 12 1/2" (no upper pad installed which would have made it about 3/16" lower.)

It's been years and at most there was less than 1/4" of settling and that happened right away.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Hotchkis lowering springs sits too high?

I had this problem, and it was because of my KYB shocks. The shocks would not compress, with the weight of the car. I switched them back to Monroes, and the front dropped about 1 1/2" immediately.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Mine sits exactly 16'' from center of rim to wheel well. I noticed that there was this piece of aluminum in the shape of a half moon kinda like a spacer under the stock springs. I put it back in. Can I take it out? Here is what it looks like without shocks.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

You definitely have something wrong there! Take out the spacers. Check the p/n on the springs against the p/n on the box to make sure they are the right ones. Both ends of the spring should be wound open and not have a flat ground end similar to a valve spring. I would measure the wire diameter and free height then call hotchkis with those measurements.

'68 Camaro SS. Dealer for American made performance & restoration parts.
Check my site
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassisboy View Post
You definitely have something wrong there! Take out the spacers. Check the p/n on the springs against the p/n on the box to make sure they are the right ones. Both ends of the spring should be wound open and not have a flat ground end similar to a valve spring. I would measure the wire diameter and free height then call hotchkis with those measurements.
The part number matched the box.

I did not know if they were spacers or something to make the spring sit flat. I will take out them out.

The springs did have a flat spot at the end just like a valve spring.

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

So there is not supposed to be these "spacers" in? I will take them out! I think it will sit perfect without these. Thanks guys

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 04:26 PM
Tech Team
joe

those spacers are not original thay are something somebody added problably to take the sag out of the old springs
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT67 View Post
those spacers are not original thay are something somebody added problably to take the sag out of the old springs
Thank you! I will take them out .

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 04:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Those are spring shims, probably from Global West. Your springs ends should fit into the grove in the bottom. You may have to turn them until the end sits down and locks into the grove. I have the TVS SB kit on my 67 with the Bilstein shocks.

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st 67 SS/RS View Post
Those are spring shims, probably from Global West. Your springs ends should fit into the grove in the bottom. You may have to turn them until the end sits down and locks into the grove. I have the TVS SB kit on my 67 with the Bilstein shocks.
Half right, half wrong. Those ARE spring spacers, and they will raise the height by approx DOUBLE the the thickness of the spacer. Get 'em out of there. The spring end should NOT index into the groove in the LCA. It should index into the subframe. Feel around up there and you'll find the notch for the spring tail. The groove in the LCA is for water drainage. Let that end of the spring fall where it falls. Only worry about the top end of the spring.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Half right, half wrong. Those ARE spring spacers, and they will raise the height by approx DOUBLE the the thickness of the spacer. Get 'em out of there. The spring end should NOT index into the groove in the LCA. It should index into the subframe. Feel around up there and you'll find the notch for the spring tail. The groove in the LCA is for water drainage. Let that end of the spring fall where it falls. Only worry about the top end of the spring.
Thanks Al. I will be taking them out this weekend!

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode