69 camaro front suspension build - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
rolo

69 camaro front suspension build

I have a 69 camaro that I am in the process of rebuilding the frt suspension. I am going to powder coat the subframe and am about to order new parts for it. I have a question as to what control arms to order and if I should go with coil overs or stock springs. I also would like to get some information on using tall spindles. the car will motly be used for weekend cruiser no circle track or any competions. I will be using 20" wheels up front and am not sure if I should go with the narrowed tubular arms or stock size tubular arms. I will also be converting to disc brakes so am curious about the tall spindles. Any information will be greatly appreciated as I don't want to order anything not needed or recommended. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Re: 69 camaro front suspension build

There are a ton of options, but what is your budget?

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
rolo

Willing to spend some money for some good and nice stuff. Not looking to break the bank though. Just looking for a nice street setup recommendations

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Gabriel

Your biggest obsticle is going to be 20" wheels and what you have to do to make them work. Alot of pro-touring guys run 18" max, with a very few running 19". You might want to re-think the wheel size as 20" wheels look way out of perportion to the car. But it's your car, so it's your choice.

Btw, I'm gonna be running 18" and the purists will give me hell for it, but I think they fit the car well. Look at a lot of pics of Camaros with different wheel sizes and you might find something you like.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Absolutly DO NOT use the narrowed arms. Makes bad factory geometry even worse. We sell 4 great brands of control arms. Speedtech is the best bang for the buck in the control arm market. Powder coated, Polished stainless shafts, Delrin bushing. Hot stuff and we sell a ton of them.

Also to help handling and tire clearance, look at doing either a Gulstrand mod or tall spindle or tall ball joint. Either of those 3 things will help you negative camber gain, which you need most when trying to clear big tires in lowered cars.

We have a few spindle / ball joint / spring / control arm options. We sell it and install it everyday in out own shop.

If we can help, let me know.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 09, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Hotchkis

PlatniumTA-

It all depends on whether you just plan on using the car as a neighborhood cruiser or if you'll be taking it on road trips, occasional blasts through the canyons, etc. I'd suggest you find someone with a first gen Camaro with the biggest wheels you can find and go for a ride.

Unfortunately running 20" wheels means you have to sacrifice a lot in terms of ride quality and handling. That's a LOT of unsprung weight hanging out there, so it also radically reduces braking performance. Like Prodigy said, the narrow arms are purely a means to an end to run big wheels, but they actually make the geometry worse and hurt handling.

My recommendation would be to run a complete tubular upper/lower A-arm setup with a good sway bar and high performance drop springs and performance shocks. Our setup is dialed-in for a nice hunkered-down ride height and great performance without a choppy ride. Our new arms also accommodate coil-overs, and we've found great results testing with Afco and some of the other high-performance brands. Whether you run ours or not, definitely try to stick with domestically made products, we've put some of the foreign stuff on a jig and found that the geometry can vary from part-to-part. If you want more detailed tech info, let me know and I'll put you in touch with one of our engineers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 09, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
rolo

I appreciate all the good information. If anyone has any pics of 69's with 19" and 20" wheels or 20"s all the way around I would also appreciate that. The car will be basicly used for cruising but since im going to redo the suspension I might as well install good and nice components. Wondering if I should also go with rack & pinion upgrade or just a good steering gear with new steering parts?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 09, 07:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Go to http://www.lateral-g.net/forums and look up members at top of page and shows lots of car pics and their specs.

68 coupe ,572,tko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode