Convertible cross brance bolt holes are stripped, Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Send a message via MSN to 19HoosierDaddies67
Convertible cross brance bolt holes are stripped, Help!

Hello,

I removed my stock brace to install a new Hotchkis cross brace in preparation for future larger exhaust. When removing my stock brace I found that 5 out of the 6 bolts were stripped out and a previous owner had the brace installed with bolts up inside the frame. These were a pain in the A** to remove to say the least and I am hoping to install the new brace "correctly" without having to get a bolt up inside the frame, nearly impossible to get a wrench up inside there to hold the bolt......

The stock application had nuts welded up inside the frame for the bolt to screw into, these are either broken loose, missing or stripped....

Have other ran into this same issue?

What did you do to fix the issue?

I was thinking about drilling and tapping the frame to install larger bolts. Would this work?

What size tap and bolts did you use?

Thanks for your thoughts and help,

Jerry

1967 Convertible Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Cool Runnin Camaros:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Convertible cross brance bolt holes are stripped, Help!

The frame alone, won't give you much material to tap. Is their welded nuts or caged nuts, like on a leaf spring ? If there is welded nuts, you can drill and tap them. You may have to enlarge the holes in your cross brace.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Re: Convertible cross brance bolt holes are stripped, Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
The frame alone, won't give you much material to tap. Is their welded nuts or caged nuts, like on a leaf spring ? If there is welded nuts, you can drill and tap them. You may have to enlarge the holes in your cross brace.
They are welded nuts and some are missing, It looks like the welds broke, I had to cut the head off one bolt to get it out. Unfortunately I don't think a cage nut will work, I tried using the same cage nuts that came with my new leaf springs but they are not long enough to reach the holes.

I can try to drill and tap the ramining bolts that are still welded in place, i have a feeling they will break once I drill into them, worth a shot I guess.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

1967 Convertible Camaro

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 03:35 AM
Kevin

Take a flanged nut and weld it in the hole. The brace will sit off the metal a bit, but better than nothing!

Kevin

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I had one stripped out, I got lucky and just got away with tapping it out the next size up. I have seen where new nuts were welded in also.

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 09, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

I taped all of mine to a larger size and used some old flexplate bolts. These were the right length (short) and had a large low profile head.

Ray
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 09, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. I decide to use a Tap and dye set to tap out to the next size, 7/16's grade-8 1" inch bolt with washer. 5 of the 6 bolts tapped without issue, as I stated before one nut had broken loose so for this one I just used a 7/16's bolt with a lock nut, not too bad putting it back in since it was a standard nut and not the one that was originally welded inside the body.

Thanks again, we are back in business.

Jerry

1967 Convertible Camaro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode