Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Morten

Send a message via MSN to MortenL
Steering calibration settings

Hi

I need to give my 69 camaro a steering calibration but here in Denmark no tiredealers have the settings for US-cars, maybe some of you can help me maybe with a link to many other models and brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Steering calibration settings

I cant help with a link but I have mine at 0 camber 2 3/4 caster 1/16th toe. Many like more caster but thats close to the max factory setting.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I was asked about what I have in mine, a few days ago by another member here in NZ who dropped in the other day have played with them for many yrs
this is for basic alround city/open road driving left hook on left side of the road (driver next to kerb

Quote:
These are the wheel align specs I get mine to now
Total toe +1.4 mm
Toe LH =.7mm RH .7mm
Camber LH -1 deg 09 ' RH -1deg 16'
Caster LH 3deg 26' RH 3deg 03'
King pin angle LH 10deg 47' RH 11deg 09
Set back 0deg 15'

Note: Important when they set the alignment the steering wheel MUST be in the center of the steering box
U CANT get the toe right THEN center the steering wheel on the spline.....doing so will wreack the sterring wheel splines because the wheel only goes on the shaft in 1 position.....if u do, the indicators stuff up and a couple other things...
The correct spacers are the same as HQ holden.

For the wheel alignment guy he will find this very helpful other wise he will end up going in circles
removal of shimsat the front will decrease camber
1 1/16" shim will change caster approx 3/8 deg

Addition of shims front and back support brackets will decrease +ve camber
1 1/6" shim on each bracket will change camber 5/16 deg

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Morten

Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply´s i will take this info to the wheelcenter and hopefuly they know can calibrate, but what about the shims where can i buy this?? are there realy so many things to adjust on a camaro?
What are these?
King pin angle LH 10deg 47' RH 11deg 09
Set back 0deg 15'

Morten
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Steering calibration settings

Read this web page, before you do anything.

http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension.htm

David Pozzi is a moderator here, and he can answer ANY suspension question you may have !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The shims are pretty universal for most wish bone suspensions...in Europe look at a few old Vauxalls

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Morten

Hi

guys for all your help. Then i will hope that the wheelcenter has some shims from old days All that info is good reading but nothing that i can use, but good to know a little about.

Allways good to know that if i need any info about my car it´s good you guys are "over there" to help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 02:15 PM
David Pozzi

ALIGNMENT SPECS
David's Specs

* Caster 5 deg positive, or as much positive as you can achieve up to 5 deg, can use .5 deg more positive on the passenger side to compensate for road crown.
* Camber -.25 degee for mostly freeway driving, -.5 for street and occasional hard cornering, -1 deg for street, Autocross, and Open Track. you can use even more if tire temps show outside edge of tread is hotter than inside. If the inner edges of tread show excessive wear, use less neg camber. If you have not done the Guldstrand mod, you can add .25 to .5 deg to the above camber settings.
* Toe in, 1/16" to 1/8".

Guldstrand recommends the following specs for a "touring car":

* Caster: 3 - 4 degrees positive (+) PS = more, manual steer less.
* Camber: 1/4 to 1/2 degrees negative (-)
* With upper a-arm relocation Camber: 0 degrees
* Toe-in: 0 - 1/8 inch

Guldstrand recomends for racing:

(assumes "Guldstrand mod" is done)

* Caster 3 to 4 1/8 deg pos
* Camber 1.5 to 2 deg neg
* Toe in 1/8" out to 1/8" in (I would try 1/8" out first) more neg camber = more toe out.

Herb Adams recomends these alignment specs for the street:

* 1 degree positive caster ( I would use 3.5 degrees if PS)
* 1 degree negative camber.
* 1/16" toe in

Stock factory alignment specs:

* Caster +1/2 deg
* Camber + 1/4 to 1/2 deg
* Toe-in 1/8" to 1/4" (Radial tires need less toe-in, use 1/8" or less for them)

IN ALL POWER STEERING EQUIPPED CASES, USE AS MUCH POSITIVE CASTER AS YOU CAN ACHIEVE UP TO 5.5 DEGREES POSITIVE MAXIMUM. MORE CASTER HELPS TILT THE WHEEL INWARD WHEN CORNERING, HELPS REDUCE BUMPSTEER BY LOWERING THE TIE ROD ENDS. MANUAL STEER CARS WILL REQUIRE MORE EFFORT AT HIGH CASTER SETTINGS, YOU MAY HAVE TO USE LESS.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode