Team Camaro Tech banner

Do I need a rear sway bar?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  pdq67 
#1 ·
Took the Camaro out today, and while going aroud a nice steady curve at 65 mph, the car started rocking side to side about twice a second. Kind of like a boat. It cought me off guard. The car was rocking so bad, I had to get out of the gas. I rebuilt the subframe last summer with all new poly bushings, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, every thing in the front is new. Also put new air shocks in the back. Anybody have some ideas? I dontremember the car doing this before.

#2 ·
It could be something as basic is needing a good alignment.Toe out can do weird things - wandering-tracking - possibly something is loose? Sway bars make a huge difference in the handling and is something I would definetly add one anyway. also check your tire pressures - basics -basics - air shocks in the rear (thought those days were gone) how high is the back sitting?

#6 ·
A rear sway bar is not recomended on a 1st gen unless it's got very wide low profile tires out back and a very big front sway bar. If it's not the front end alignment then my guess is the air shocks are the cause of the problem but I would also look into a bad wheel and even tire balance or out of round tire.

#8 ·
Dennis I have a rear sway bar on mine. What do you consider "big" for the front sway bar? I have a Hotchkis 1 1/8" bar. I plan on going with 40's or 35's on the rear with a 8 or 9 inch wheel. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Robert

#12 ·
My car drove like this set up w/ E & L-60/14's on 14" x 7" & 9" wide 3.5" back spaced rims, BB A/C coil springs, ADDCO 1" front S/B and a 3/4" ADDCO S/B on the rearend along w/ tuned coilover, shock overload springs and slapper bars.

It would push some at speed in a tight turn but nothing a little throttle kick-out couldn't handle!

I could almost skip sideways around a 90 degree corner running like 40 mph.

Sure, it didn't ride like a Cad., but it went where I pointed her at any speed I wanted!

pdq67

PS., my old L-60/14's measure a modern 298/53-14!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.