Front Subframe Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Dave

Front Subframe Help!

Okay, so i've got a 69 camaro project, that we've had around for awhile. It seems the previous owner was running a ford engine of sorts in it...and well...to make room for the pan they practically destroyed the front crossmember. Aside from going out and getting another complete front subframe, does anybody have any tips for fixing this? Is it possible to cut out the factory crossmember and put a square tubing one in? Though i'm a little worried about getting it all to match up exact. (BTW sorry about all the dirt, its been sitting out in the dirt and I just officially started my project today).

Here are some pictures: (hope you didn't just eat, its disturbing!)

My first thought was that i could cut and replace the nasty welds and place a piece of square tubing to fill the gap and tighten it up.

But then i noticed this....

Not to mention it looks like it might be interesting using the factory motor mount locations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 09:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Re: Front Subframe Help!

Id get another subframe. They are real cheap and still plentiful.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe clance View Post
Id get another subframe. They are real cheap and still plentiful.
x2....that is not even worth messing with!

Steve
67 Camaro RS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Probably the most disgusting modification and attempt at welding I've ever seen.

Some parts of it might make good doner parts though. At least hang on to it until you find a replacement frame, incase you get one with a bent rail or something.

Man, that is just bad. It's a pity that this frame didn't fail and kill the modifier in order to aid natural selection.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 10:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Herby

Garage

That subframe is bad news. I'm with the guys above. Replace it. There are a lot of people replacing their subframes with aftermarket setups so you could probably find one at a reasonable price. I've seen them before on this website in the classified section.

H.

I still have my first car.
A
bought in 1982.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Dave

Yah i was pretty blown away when i saw it! I know of one sub-frame in town, i'll have to keep my eyes open. I just wasn't sure if it was savable or not. I can at least use some of the parts off it. LOL at the natural selection comment...though if it would have done that i'd need to do a LOT more bodywork to the car!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 02:16 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I have the doner pieces to fix it, but I'm in Australia. You should find another pretty easily.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 03:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

A subframe from a late 60ís to early 70ís Nova will bolt right in your Camaro project. Check the local wrecking yards that deal in older cars for a Nova subframe.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Did we dig that up off the floor of the ocean? Is that part of the Titanic? LOL! What does the rest of the car look like? Assuming the rest of the car is not to far gone, there are plenty of subframes for sale, I just seen one somewhere for $100 bucks, on the west coast to, I will see if I can find it
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 04:00 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Camaro/Firebird 67-69
Nova 69-74
Omega
Ventura &
Apollo (easy way to remember)

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
Did we dig that up off the floor of the ocean? Is that part of the Titanic? LOL! What does the rest of the car look like? Assuming the rest of the car is not to far gone, there are plenty of subframes for sale, I just seen one somewhere for $100 bucks, on the west coast to, I will see if I can find it
Haha, the rest of the car is fairly straight, gotta replace a couple of the floorpans and maybe a quarter panel(due to a dent via moving it around with a forklift), but aside from that its clean. $100 bucks would be an awesome deal, if you can find it let me know.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 08:11 AM
Tech Team

Putting a Ford engine in a Camaro. I hope that SOB in in a padded cell somewhere.

MR
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 10:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rallo View Post
Putting a Ford engine in a Camaro. I hope that SOB in in a padded cell somewhere.

MR
Might have even been a Presidential candidate at one point!

67 RS
540, T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, 12 Bolt w/4:10's
(I haven't changed anything that can't be changed back)

Nicole:

My build thread:
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 11:00 PM
Tech Team
Eli

I'm not sure where ur at but there is a nice one on craigslistsfbayarea.org its 200 but u might get a deal on it.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

If you run out of options, try this place....they specialize in first gens pretty much:

http://www.gmsportssalvage.com/

Steve
67 Camaro RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode