Moog Catalog Help? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Moog Catalog Help?

Anyone have a Moog catalog handy? Looking for data on the 656 and 5244 springs.

RockAuto lists 656 as the replacement for a 69 Firebird 400 with A/C, or for a 400 vert without A/C.

5244 is listed for a 400 vert with A/C.

Need primarily the spring rate info, but the free and installed height are important too. Googling gave me a rate for the 5244 of 315 lb-in, which seems erroneous (maybe transposed?). Cannot find anything on 656.

Still looking for that elusive BBC equivalent of 6308/6320 SBC replacements.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 09:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Moog Catalog Help?

Eric,i got an advance auto with a moog book down the street..what are you needing? Not sure im reading the post right??
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 09:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

the 5244 is 11 inch installed height...17 3/4 free height..315 lbs per inch rate..load is 2124 for capacity..

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 09:32 AM
Team Member
JohnnyRotten

i have a MOOG master catalog dated 1995 and unfortunately you're going to need either a coil spring catalog or a numerical list catalog. the master catalog doesn't show the specifications on the springs.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 09:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

the 656 is 11 inch installed..free is 14.5 inches..rate is 136 per inch ..441 load capacity..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 09:40 AM
Kevin

Eric, what are you trying to accomplish? You need springs for your BB? I have a TRW set the mics out as the 638.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 09:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

eric, i also have a set of gm bbc springs factory out of a 69 x22 hardtop no air car...i can measure when i get home to give you the specs??..you can have them if you need them..just foot the shipping!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 10:47 AM
David Pozzi

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the help guys.

The issue that I am up against is that I want a spring that is like the Chevy F41 spring, with a rate in the neighborhood of 380 lb-in.

I am trying to avoid the hassle/expense of getting some Eatons that are exactly what I want, but cost a bunch.

The 69 AIM does not have the handy spring chart in the front like 68 does, but I guess I can try to wade through it and figure out what spring a 68 BB vert without AC would have used, and go from there.

I do not want the front way up in the air, nor do I want it as down in the weeds as the Moog 638 with one coil off (in the car right now) make it.

I also do not want the extreme stiffness that comes with aftermarket lowering springs like Hotchkis or GW. I had 502 lb-in springs in the 68 SB vert, and they were just too stiff for me.

I thought I might have an answer with the spring numbers above for the Firebirds. But, if the Moog catalog is to be believed, the Pontiacs were all sprung softer than even the base V8 Chevys.

BarefootDave has 638s in his Z10, and I like the ride height, and I guess adding the 100 lb plus extra in the nose that a vert carries will not make much difference. But I like the added stiffness the cut 638s I have now, so I was hoping to find an off-the-shelf Moog number that was the "right" diameter, bar thickness, free and loaded heights, and had a rate around 380 lb-in. I haven't found it yet...

Maybe that 5370 in David's post above would work. Stupid question, but am I worried about "free height" at all? The rate and load height for the 5370 look like they would work, but the free height is 0.3 inch shorter. Maybe I found one to try?

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 12:00 PM
Team Member
JohnnyRotten

not to get too too involved as i'm not a chassis guru but .3 is very little to think about.

just tossing that out for consideration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode