Hotchkis Rear Leaf and Shock Question - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Hotchkis Rear Leaf and Shock Question

First off this is my first post and I just wanted to say how much of a help this forum has been. I have a 67 Camaro with Mono and will be switching over to a hotchkis multi leaf. I ordered the 2407c kit and the HPS 1000 shocks that go with it. I talked to Hotchkis and they say I don't need anything else to install the leafs but after reading every post I could find on this site I am not sure. It seems as if some people are using spacers and others are not? I just want to make sure I have everything to get the job done this weekend.

Thanks,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: Hotchkis Rear Leaf and Shock Question

Spacers should not be needed or used with the Hotchkiss springs as they will lower the car on their own. The Kotchkiss spring kits are complete and should give you everything you need.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much! The spacer I am talking about would be so the upper and lower shock plates hit each other like factory and it looks like the hotchkis will have a gap between the plates? If that is ok then I should be all set with what I ordered. I just thought that if I needed the mono to multi kit I would get spacers and smaller u bolts so that I did not have to drill the holes bigger.

Thanks again,
Kevin

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The Hotchkis leafs did not lower the car enough for my tastes, so I made some lowering blocks to get it where I wanted. That made for a hefty gap between the shock plate and the spring perch. I made some simple spacers for that out of 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing. I didn't drill out the holes for the bigger Hotchkis U-bolts - I just used 4 of the factory style U-bolts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 01:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
The Hotchkis leafs did not lower the car enough for my tastes, so I made some lowering blocks to get it where I wanted. That made for a hefty gap between the shock plate and the spring perch. I made some simple spacers for that out of 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing. I didn't drill out the holes for the bigger Hotchkis U-bolts - I just used 4 of the factory style U-bolts

I was just going to ask about the Hotchkis U-bolts being a bit wider than the holes in the spring perch! I don't have any original u-bolts since the car had some traction bars when I bought it. Any way to make the ubolts worK?? Maybe throw them in a vice and bend them in??

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 03:11 PM
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

The instructions have you drill out the holes to the larger size U bolts.

Some videos I'v made for youtube

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevan

Picks of your stance before and after the blocks?

67 RS
540, T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, 12 Bolt w/4:10's
(I haven't changed anything that can't be changed back)

Nicole:

My build thread:
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67'540cu View Post
Picks of your stance before and after the blocks?
Sorry - just after. Remember your results may vary - each car seems to be a bit different. This is with 3/4" lowering blocks and the Hotchkis leafs.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Gav

One more thing with this.... i am going from mono to hotchkis multi leaf in my 69 and now am putting in my new moser rear . If i use these mono leaF PLATES TO GO UNDER THE SPRINGS will they hit the rims where the shock bolts too? I have 18inch rear rims.
The spring perches are deeper on the moser diff , so the lower shock mount would be lower to the rim. I hope that made sense?

Gav

RHD 69' 8 STACK INJECTED 383,FAST ECU, TREMECT56 6 SPEED, ATS ,SPEEDTECH, QA1s, HOTCHKIS, RUSHFORTHS , MOSER POSI 3.7, MAGNAFLOWS, ETC ETC

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Al

You'll probably be OK. Depends on back spacing. Mine are close with 17" rims, maybe an inch.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 09:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

The wider the gap between the upper an lower perchs, the more likely the lower shock mount will interfere with the inner rims of wide wheels. this is more pronounced when using a mono lower perch (shock mounts lower than mult lower perch). i run 17" x9.5" w/5.5 bs with multi lower perch touching the upper perch and plenty of room .

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 09, 09:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHH View Post
The instructions have you drill out the holes to the larger size U bolts.
So...is this what ALL OF YOU DID??

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 09, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
Hotchkis

Ride height is a tough one. Everyone has a different idea about what looks good, so it's hard to please everyone - the red convertible looks fantastic, and we love hearing when people make extra mods to lower the cars even further.

Most customers bolt the springs (or complete TVS) on as-is and like the fact that it sits lower than stock but still has some clearance. The tough thing about ride height on older cars is that many cars on stock springs have sagged so low that the owners are used to it, and when they put new sport springs in the car actually sits higher!

So many customers requested springs with an even lower ride height that we finally answered the call: This is a sneak preview of our all-new 3" drop springs. Here's an installed shot:

You can get them alone or with a TVS, and they bolt in just like our other springs, but with a full 3-inch drop instead of a 1.5-inch drop. We've designed them with a spring rate that provides a really comfortable ride and still delivers the same performance.

Let me know if you have any questions.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 03:08 AM
jersey

useful information
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 02:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Ride height is a tough one. Everyone has a different idea about what looks good, so it's hard to please everyone - the red convertible looks fantastic, and we love hearing when people make extra mods to lower the cars even further.

Most customers bolt the springs (or complete TVS) on as-is and like the fact that it sits lower than stock but still has some clearance. The tough thing about ride height on older cars is that many cars on stock springs have sagged so low that the owners are used to it, and when they put new sport springs in the car actually sits higher!

So many customers requested springs with an even lower ride height that we finally answered the call: This is a sneak preview of our all-new 3" drop springs. Here's an installed shot:

You can get them alone or with a TVS, and they bolt in just like our other springs, but with a full 3-inch drop instead of a 1.5-inch drop. We've designed them with a spring rate that provides a really comfortable ride and still delivers the same performance.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Let me be the first to say: Thank You for being a company that listens to its customers.
Your website recommends the 3" drop leafs should be used with a 3" drop up front. Since your lowest drop spring up front is 2" are you recommending to customers they cut one coil off the 2" drop springs? Do you have any pics of your 3" drop leafs on a 67-68?

67 RS
540, T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, 12 Bolt w/4:10's
(I haven't changed anything that can't be changed back)

Nicole:

My build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode