Where to measure ride height? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Where to measure ride height?

Car is a 68 Camaro
My car sits lower than stock...I just don't know by how much.

I think my mono-springs in the rear have sagged, but I like the way it looks. I'm debating on doing a spring swap or 4 link install.

If I do new leaf springs (leaning that way because of the lower cost and easier project), I want to make sure that my car sits as close to where it is now. I'd be an unhappy camper if I get new springs and it sits too high for my liking.

That leads to my questions:

Where do I measure from to figure out my current ride height (for both front & rear)?

What is the stock ride height at those points?

I've read good things here about the global west Cat5 springs. Also saw that Hotchkis now has their 3" drop springs. I've heard people say that when they install new 'lowered springs", that their car doesn't sit as nice as it did before. I think that's probably because the old springs settled and that wasn't taken into account when ordering the new parts.

I want to have the right info so I get the right parts.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Where to measure ride height?

Usually the ends of the rocker panel are the height dimensions and then add/subtract for accessories/options.
Assembly Instruction Manual has the diagram/table.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech

tire diameter will affect any ride height measurement- if it had 26" tall tires stock and it has 28" tall tires on it now, your ride height will be 1" off if you go by the book.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 09, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Good point on the tire height. I found the page in the Assembly manual. I didn't factor in tire height though. I'll have to check that out.

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 09, 09:58 AM
Hotchkis

We typically measure from the center (highest point) of the wheel well opening to the ground. That gives you a pretty consistent number.

As for leaf spring swaps - you hit the nail on the head. So many cars on stock springs are sitting low now because of sag, that when customers would install our 1.5" springs the car would sit higher and even though handling/ride would improve, they didn't like the new higher ride height.

We took our time in R&D dialing in the new 3" drop spring design so that it still provides the same handling and comfortable ride as the 2-inch springs, but makes the car sit right. They work really well. Pretty easy swap too, only takes an hour or two with hand tools and a floor jack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode