De-arching leaf springs?? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
LDB
Senior Tech
Chad

De-arching leaf springs??

Has anyone ever de-arced their leafs? I've heard it can be done at a fairly cheap price certainly cheaper than a new set. What are the cons to doing this? If possible I'd like to take 3" out of my current set up. Also if anyone has pics of there cars before and after I would appreciate it. Thanks once again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: De-arching leaf springs??

It gets a funky ride feel to it!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

If my info is incorrect appollogies to those in the know. There are certain groups that tend to use a torch to de-arch their springs. From what I'm told it's a matter of heating the area up with it under load and the springs will start to flatten out. Cons.. weakens the metal, leafs would have to be changed out to ever go back to stock, shocks maybe too long now, makes for a difficult time to get the sides even, ruins the ride.

Others have taken one or two of the leafs out to help accomplish the same thing. Pro's..... leafs can be put back with a little effort. Con's effects the ride and puts more wear on the shocks and shocks may have to be changed for shorter set.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Chad

If there is a truck and heavy equipment suspension/brake type shop in your area they should be able to take some arc out of your springs. It would just be the reverse process of what it would take to re-arc them.

They would disassemble the springs and take some arc out of the master leaves and then each successive leaf, then reassemble. That way you wouldn't be losing any spring rate by taking out a leaf and your ride shouldn't be negatively affected much. You also wouldn't be affecting the temper of the springs and making them weaker by heating them.

I would think they should be able to get you a good 2 inches lower. Three may be pushing it. You don't want the springs riding flat or bending backwards.

Mark

68 327 4-speed 3.42 posi and a sunroof
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best so far... 13.25 at 106mph

78 Firebird 350/T350 3.23 posi
65 Mustang convert. 6 cyl. 3-speed
66 Mustang coupe 6 cyl. auto
80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
Gav

Ive just got my hotchkis 1 1/2 lowered leafs re-set another 3 inches in my 69. Im fitting them today (cost me $200) I will post sum pics tonight b4 and afters

Gav

RHD 69' 8 STACK INJECTED 383,FAST ECU, TREMECT56 6 SPEED, ATS ,SPEEDTECH, QA1s, HOTCHKIS, RUSHFORTHS , MOSER POSI 3.7, MAGNAFLOWS, ETC ETC

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 03:26 PM
David Pozzi

De-arching flattens the leaf spring out obviously, what might not be so obvious is, the spring get's longer as you flatten it out. This can put the rear shackle in a bind or different angle than stock. Another issue is, the stock leaf was set up with a rate that under normal conditions would use all the available travel. Lowering the car 3" or so will greatly reduce the available travel under bump, you really need to increase spring rate to prevent bottoming out on the bump stops.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode