progress pics - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

progress pics

couple pics of my hotchkis 1 1/2" drop leaf springs and my right stuff disc brake kit installed with any luck i will be movin up to the front of the car next weekend and i do have to ask the brake m/c says to use dot 3 but the instruction suggest dot 4 or 5 anybody here use dot 4 or 5 in the right stuff brake kit

thanks tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 10:45 AM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

Re: progress pics

looks real nice!!...great work, dot 3 is the old standard, use 4, flush the system. make sure its from a sealed container as brake fluid is hydroscopic.

Kelly
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I think I had the same rotors and calipors you have.What master are you running is it power.I have non-power Wilwood and Wilwood says do not use Dot-5 I did and totaly regret it it is very hard to get the air out of the system.I used the 570 dot-3 from Wilwood just be carefull not to spill on the paint.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 03:51 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
couple pics of my hotchkis 1 1/2" drop leaf springs and my right stuff disc brake kit installed with any luck i will be movin up to the front of the car next weekend and i do have to ask the brake m/c says to use dot 3 but the instruction suggest dot 4 or 5 anybody here use dot 4 or 5 in the right stuff brake kit

thanks tom

what product did you use to undercoat the camaro....flat black but looks like it might have a little tecture too?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 03:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Looks good!!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

That looks great. I have always wanted to put my car up on the stands while on my lift but feel a bit shakey about it.

1969 Camaro Convert. 355 ,4speed, 12 Bolt,3.73 rear, Dusk Blue Code 51

1979 Z28 auto,all stock,Red,Tan Int.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Those are some nice beefy looking spring/shock mounting plates. Did those come with the Hotchkis springs or if not what/where and how much?

Thank you.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

well i spent a couple of weekends cleaning the bottom with alot of different types of hand tools mostly a wire wheel on a 4" grinder what a PITA, i really hoped it would come out better but that was it not clean enough for paint, so i used undercoat in a spraycan, i think it was made by gunk,the shock plates i bought from matts classic i think those are $40.00 each they come nonstaggard or staggard your choice, the m/c came with the right stuff 4 wheel disc brake kit i chose the manual kit, this car had 4 wheel manual drums so i stayed with manual, i would really like to use a silcone type brake fluid if anyone has any experience with this brake kit and has used silicone brake fluid with it please chime in

thanks tom
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Car looks great. I had drums on my 68 and the switch to discs was amazing. Make sure you have a good proportioning valve and residual pressure valve in the rear line.

I'd stay away from Dot 5 silicone brake fluid on the street. It will leave you with a very spongy feeling pedal and little if any braking confidence. Go with Castrol GT LMA Dot 3/4 fluid and you'll be a very happy camper. The brakes will be easy to bleed and rock hard when you stop. I bought 3 of the big quart bottles and used 1.5 quarts to flush my lines fully and ~1 to fill and bleed the system.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 03:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

you have a picture of the "rear" of your rear end? I want to see how you ran your lines from each disk to the center!

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

tom do you have a link to this "right stuff disc brake kit "..? I havent heard of them and would like to check them out. would appreciate it. Thanks......Jeoff J.

Jeoff J.
Buffalo , NY...Brrrr

MY RIDE:

project "semi precious metal"
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech

Just wanted to back everyone else up who said to avoid dot 5

Yes, its nice to not worry about paint if you spill, but the fluid does not offer a good brake feel because it absorbs air, and not water. Any water in the system will pool somewhere and may cause rust from the inside out.

Use dot 3/4
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

thanks for the info guys i will be usein dot 3/4 on these recommendations i but my 4 wheel brake kit thru matts classic bowties i do have a ? about the rear e-brake cables they seem to be way long i have a nonstaggard shock setup and the cables seem to be about 4 or 5 inches to long has anyone else had this problem i called right stuff tech support last nite and they told me i have the correct cables 37 1/2" long i really don't know what to do with the extra length any suggestions

here a pic from the rear the instructions suggest to mount bulkhead strap between the u-bolts i didn't like it there so moved it towards the middle still plenty of slack in the hoses

thanks tom
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 07:20 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
well i spent a couple of weekends cleaning the bottom with alot of different types of hand tools mostly a wire wheel on a 4" grinder what a PITA, i really hoped it would come out better but that was it not clean enough for paint, so i used undercoat in a spraycan, i think it was made by gunk,the shock plates i bought from matts classic i think those are $40.00 each they come nonstaggard or staggard your choice, the m/c came with the right stuff 4 wheel disc brake kit i chose the manual kit, this car had 4 wheel manual drums so i stayed with manual, i would really like to use a silcone type brake fluid if anyone has any experience with this brake kit and has used silicone brake fluid with it please chime in

thanks tom
Was it this stuff? http://www.ruralking.com/undercoat-t...-oz-spray.html

this is my project for this weekend...just wondering how you thought the product went on? well? and how many cans you went through? 16oz. I cant imagine went very far??? Proly need 20 cans?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

hh i used 8 20oz. cans its sprays very fast and one can doesn't go very far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode