Summit 90/10 front shocks ! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 09, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scotty

Summit 90/10 front shocks !

Hi Guys,

When I was last in the US I was getting a set of Koni's for my 68 Firebird. I also seen a set of the Summit front drag shocks so thought I would get a set of them thrown in as well.
I have been having a play with the adjustment on them which is supposed to vary from Regular-Firm-Extra firm but wherever they are adjusted to it does not seem to feel any different & it is very hard to actually know what setting you are on. There is three triangles stamped into the body of the shock but none of the places where the adjustment clicks into position do the stamps line up. I would have thought that they would pull out real easy but be really stiff to push back in but all positions seem to feel reasonably easy to push in & pull out. Does anybody have any experience with these shocks & do they seem to work okay ? I have not fitted them yet but they are going into a mid 11 second SBC car.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...0/?image=large

Thanks
Scott

A REAL ENGINE IS AN ORANGE ENGINE !

406 SBC, AFR 195's, Comp 242/248 @ 50 hyd rol, RPM Airgap, 10.7 comp, 830 DP, 4000 stall, Turbo 400, 3.73 12 bolt posi, 383RWHP, 11.369 @ 118.71mph.

Last edited by SBC-68-FIREBIRD; Oct 26th, 09 at 05:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scotty

Re: Summit 90/10 front shocks !

Spoke to Summit sales, Summit customer service & Summit tech department & none of them had any idea. Will just try them & see how they go.

406 SBC, AFR 195's, Comp 242/248 @ 50 hyd rol, RPM Airgap, 10.7 comp, 830 DP, 4000 stall, Turbo 400, 3.73 12 bolt posi, 383RWHP, 11.369 @ 118.71mph.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 07:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Those look exactly like the 3 way adjustable shocks from Comp Engineering that I have on my car. Keep trying to adjust them with the shock fully compressed. After each adjustment cycle the shock by hand until you get the setting you want.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Just be aware that 90/10s are a Band Aid for a the wrong spring rates.

A shock with 10% dampening can in no way control your springs which is what they are there to do.

I would fit the right shocks for the springs you have, or, fit the right springs, then fit the right shocks.

That's my 5 cents. (inflation)

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scotty

My springs have been re-set & I run Koni adjustables all round for street use & I have the car riding really firm. I bought the Summit shocks because they were cheap & just to allow the front to lift a bit easier than the Koni's. But as the saying goes you get what you pay for. Have messed around with them for a bit & found what feels like the softest position so will give them a try at that. Pretty much only want to run the car a couple of times a year at the Nostalgia's & maybe a street meet or two so am not really keen on changing anything else to make the car better for racing but suck on the street.
Thanks for the reply though
Scott

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 01:41 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I had the Comp Engineering 90/10s. They helped my stock springs, but then when I put in tall-soft springs to preload for better weight transfer, they were far too light and regular 50/50 shocks went back in..

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode