Mounting adj. prop valve in stock location along subframe - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
T

Mounting adj. prop valve in stock location along subframe

In the process of swapping out my 2.73 peg-leg 8.2" rear for a 3.73 8.5" and figure now is a good time to clean up/replace the F/R brake lines. So I picked up the 2-piece F/R line set from NPD and I'm looking at relocating my SSBC/Wilwood adjustable prop valve down the stock location next to the sub-frame.

Problem1) -- The adjustment knob is larger in diameter than the block/base of the valve, so if I mount the block tight to the subframe, I won't be able to turn the knob. I could either shift the valve towards the ground so the knob sticks out/clears the subframe (then I'm worried about catching road debris and ripping the thing off) OR I can shim the valve out 1/4" or so from the subframe for clearance OR I can try to modify/remove the adjustment knob.

Problem2) -- Hmmm. How am I going to mount this thing to the subframe? Right now I'm thinking just drill and tap for 1/4-20 bolts and bolt her down.

Since I think other folks have done this, curious if anyone has any other "good" or "geez don't do what I did" suggestions.

Thanks.
-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Mounting adj. prop valve in stock location along subframe

I think your on the right track, space the adjustable prop valve away from the frame so the knob stays protected from the ground. And just drill and tap the holes for it, not much force on the thing and the frame is thick enough.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 01:39 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Are you able to remove the knob and perhaps replace it with a socket head cap screw? (Allen head)
Then the diameter will be smaller and a simple Allen key can be used to adjust..
Or just food for a similar idea perhaps..

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 07:04 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I wouldn't do it... The adjustible is so much larger, moving parts would be exposed to the elements of the road as well it will be easy for others to tamper with it. Even if it's just some kids ball rolls under the car and he sees the adjustment knob and turns it out of curiosity, you wont know until you are skidding out of control...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

I've had a Wilwood proportioning valve mounted off the drivers side frame rail for 10+ years with no problems at all. I have it on roughly 1/4 standoffs and put some wheel bearing grease on the exposed portion of the threads to keep grime and debris from getting to the threads. The knob is facing inward toward the frame/driveline and the formed lip on the rocker panel hides the valve from normal sight 100%. I had plans years ago to make a aluminum box with a cover to put the valve in but never got around to it. Best made plans I guess.

My car is low enough that only a baseball could fit underneath and any kids playing with a baseball near my car won't even get a chance to climb under to retrieve the ball.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Are you able to remove the knob and perhaps replace it with a socket head cap screw? (Allen head)
Then the diameter will be smaller and a simple Allen key can be used to adjust..
Or just food for a similar idea perhaps..
Knob appears to be pressed on and I'm not sure I want to try to center-drill the shaft after I pull the knob off. I'm considering removing the knob and slotting the shaft so it's basically a flat-head screwdriver adjustment though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I wouldn't do it... The adjustible is so much larger, moving parts would be exposed to the elements of the road as well it will be easy for others to tamper with it. Even if it's just some kids ball rolls under the car and he sees the adjustment knob and turns it out of curiosity, you wont know until you are skidding out of control...
Well, I never really leave the car anywhere and always park in my garage, so it's probably a low risk, but I hadn't thought about anyone messing with the valve... Definitely something for me to think about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
I've had a Wilwood proportioning valve mounted off the drivers side frame rail for 10+ years with no problems at all. I have it on roughly 1/4 standoffs and put some wheel bearing grease on the exposed portion of the threads to keep grime and debris from getting to the threads. The knob is facing inward toward the frame/driveline and the formed lip on the rocker panel hides the valve from normal sight 100%. I had plans years ago to make a aluminum box with a cover to put the valve in but never got around to it. Best made plans I guess.
I'm having trouble visualizing your setup. Sounds like your valve is mounted between the subframe and rocker panel with the knob pointed towards the center of the car (?). In that case, the valve is actually mounted to the floor of the car, right?

Thanks for the thoughts. Still messing with getting the 8.5" in (stupid repro shock plates fit like crap and it looks like I'm going to need to shorten my driveshaft bout 2" ), so I'll have a bit of time before I get around to the brake lines again....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post
I'm having trouble visualizing your setup. Sounds like your valve is mounted between the subframe and rocker panel with the knob pointed towards the center of the car (?). In that case, the valve is actually mounted to the floor of the car, right?
Mounted to the underside of the floor just inboard from where the floor and rocker are seamed and have the crimp sticking down. My stock brake line ran right along the floor board against the frame in those crappy little clips. I took the stock valve out, rebent the lines, and put the Wilwood in it's place. I used some 1/4" aluminum spacers designed for cabinet pulls and screwed it into place.

If I can get under the car later today and snap a pic for you I will. As a picture is worth 1000 words... with most of the words having 4 letters.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 09:35 AM
Team Member
JohnnyRotten

i have an adjustable valve installed on my '64 ChevyII. mine is plumbed so the knob comes through the floor just to the right/front of the driver's seat. it made the adjustment real easy and any fine tuning and it's at my fingertips when ever i'd need it. i've been told the adjustment might need changing/adjusting the first time i drive on a wet road... my car as a little over 4000 miles on it and hasn't seen any rain or wet roads.

so far though i believe it to be set right. my brakes feel fine.

Last edited by SHIFTY4; Oct 30th, 09 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode