U-Bolt hole spacing on multi-leaf shock plates (?) - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
T

U-Bolt hole spacing on multi-leaf shock plates (?)

I'm in the process of installing a multi-leaf 8.5" 10-bolt from a '74 Nova into my '69. Picked up some repro "multi-leaf" lower shock plates from NPD and (as some others have reported) the angle of the shock mount eye seems wrong (not bent enough) and the U-bolt holes in the plate don't quite match the holes in the multi-leaf perches on the rear.

So now I'm thinking of returning the NPD plates and ordering the DSE plates like I should have originally.

But, If possible, I'd like to verify that my rear isn't "special" for some reason before I order.
Can anyone with another multi-leaf rear (ideally an 8.5") OR with DSE "stock type" lower shock plates measure the center-to-center distance for the U-bolt holes?

For reference, my 8.5" seems to be about 4+1/8" between the holes.
My old 8.2" mono-leaf rear and plates are ~3+7/8"
The NPD multi-leaf plates are maybe 3 15/16"? (They are apparently supplied by "Hugger Performance Specialty Muscle Car Products" K00040-R)
(Everything is ~3.5" across the "U" of the U-bolts, these measurements are the distance between the hols along the axle)

Thanks!
-T

Last edited by TMessick; Oct 29th, 09 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
sIcKyIcKyMiCkY

Re: U-Bolt hole spacing on multi-leaf shock plates (?)

I can only comment that most u bolts are a little off from each other you can tweak them to fit.." I put new leafs on my first car" NOVA .. , but that was 147 cars ago,, Im new to first gens so I will not comment on anything else

1968 Camaro PRO STREET 406 Brodix .645 Roller Glide brak Dana 60 5.38 Ladr bar 32.16.5
1989 Vette Z-51 357 Dart ,Billet Specialties
1986 IROCZ- 468 400
2003 Roadstar
2003 GMC 4X4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
T

Well, my DSE plates came in today and they are also ~3+7/8" between the holes, so I'm guessing either my multi-leaf rear is "special" or the leaf mounts spread somehow (?)

On the up-side, NPD took back the old plates without issues (I mentioned fitment was poor with respect to shock angle; I'm not sure they were terribly excited by that) and the DSE plates have the "tabs" at the correct angle for the shocks (as mentioned by others).

I had picked up some 7/16" (stock-size) U-bolts that I had planned on using, but if I'm going to have to go crazy with the dremel anyway, maybe I'll use the mega-size 1/2" jobs from Hotchkis...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I just put an 8.5 out of a Nova in my 67 and used the Hotchkis U bolts. I re-used the 67 single leaf shock plates so I did not have to deal with shock location. The shock plates were just a bit off from the holes on the 8.5. Since I had to enlarge the holes anyhow for the Hotchkis U bolts, I opened up the shock plates a bit more to help get the alignment better. The U bolts are still slightly angled inward at the bottom to go thru the plates. I have put about 500 miles on it and no problems. I'm going to re-check the Nuts this weekend to be sure they are still tight. I probably could have opened up the plates a bit more, there was plenty of material left. If I ever take it apart for any reason, I will do that. I used a step drill bit that worked pretty well.
Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode