sway bar comparison? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

sway bar comparison?

I've read a bunch of posts about sway bars, but I just can't put it all together. I'm putting my 68 SS 396 back together and I'm trying to understand the different sway bar options. I am not really upgrading anything other than going with poly bushings. My car came stock with the 11/16" sway bar. From what I've read I should get a bigger one. Most posts I've read suggest a 1" solid. It looks to me like the ADDCO has a different geometry than the stock one. The Helwig looks like the stock shape. Both of these are ~ $120. The Hotchkis 1 1/8" hollow is said to be like a 1" but costs an extra hundred bucks. So can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of these different bars?

Big Rats run at night!<br />
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech

Re: sway bar comparison?

Hollow is lighter, but other than that all 3 should be similar.

One thing is to make sure that they come with all bushings, end links, and brackets.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Can't say anything about the other brands you listed but I've got the Hellwig and am happy with it. I did my entire suspension all at once so I can't say how much improvement just the bar added but overall it's about a thousand percent better.

Put the bar in place before you put the control arms back on and you'll save yourself some cursing or possible extra work. Also check out the holes in the frame where the sway bar bushings mount. They have tendency to strip out and it's tough to hold a nut on top of the bolt with the coil springs back in. Ask me.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insights. I think I'll go with a 1 inch and save a hundred bucks!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech

You may want to compare the different overall length of the sway bars. I saved fifty bucks and purchased a generic one from the shop that was working on my car. The bar was too wide and hitting I believe the caliper bolts under full steering ( whichever bolts protrude near the end of the sway bar ) and wearing a pattern into them. I ended up buying the Hotchkis bar and it was a little narrower overall than the one I replaced and fit correctly.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 09, 05:15 PM
Hotchkis

At Hotchkis we don't make sway bars for big rigs, industrial applications or anything other than high performance muscle and sports cars, with a particular emphasis on GM muscle cars. Unlike other companies that simply take a stock sway bar and just increase the stiffness, we have logged thousands of hours track testing, running computer simulations and logging time on the street constantly improving our product. It fits right the first time, is easy to install, incredibly high strength yet also lightweight, and our latest rear bars are adjustable. Are they the cheapest? Nope. But they work great.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 02:51 PM

We have the following available for the 1st gen Camaro

5705 1" FSB 4140 Chrome Moly Steel
5795 1-1/8" FSB 4140 Chrome Moly Steel
55705 1-1/8" FSB Tubular Alloy Steel

5824 3/4" Adjustable RSB for multileaf applications only. Includes adjustable end links to accommodate stock or lowered ride heights. This is a great Pro-touring bar as it allows the roll rate to be tuned to the driver's needs.

The 1-1/8" Tubular front and 3/4" Adjustable Rear are a great combo for a street driven car.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
Hollow is lighter, but other than that all 3 should be similar.

One thing is to make sure that they come with all bushings, end links, and brackets.
A small difference in diameter makes a huge difference in the stiffness of the bar. A 1-1/8" solid bar is 7.2 times as stiff as the 11/16" bar, and a 1" bar is 4.5 times as stiff as the 11/16" bar.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 09, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

The biggest isn't usually the best. Is this an all iron BB? 1" sounds like a good choice or you may be happier with a 7/8" depending on the rest of your set up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
The biggest isn't usually the best. Is this an all iron BB? 1" sounds like a good choice or you may be happier with a 7/8" depending on the rest of your set up.
Yup, all iron 396. Does a heavier engine need a heavier bar?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 12:04 PM
David Pozzi

Yes, more front weight = more front bar.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

One more thing. With your engine, there's a lot or work being done by the front tires. Make the rear tires work too, with a rear bar. It'll balance the car by reducing under-steer. But make sure it's engineered to work with the front bar. Over-steer is not good.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode