Do Hotchkis 2" front coil springs require special shocks - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Do Hotchkis 2" front coil springs require special shocks

Do Hotchkis 2" front coil springs require special shocks because the are 2 inches lower then stock coil spring? Also what do you all recommend I use, Monroe..Bilstein HPS 1000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 04:11 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Do Hotchkis 2" front coil springs require special shocks

No, stock fit shocks are still used. Hotchkis can provide a custom valved shock designed for their springs but many find Koni Classic's are an awesome match with Hotchkis springs...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Isn't there a big price diffrence between the two?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 09:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage

On both of my cars I am using KYB Gas A Just shocks front & rear with Hotchkiss springs.

On the '69 the ride is firm but handles great.
On the '70 I am less impressed with the KYB, and would consider an stiffer shock.

Paul

'69 Camaro, 250 inline 6, EFI Turbo rebuild is running!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, CC5S TKO 500, and more.

V8 Camaros are like navels......Everybody has one.

The Toad. 1970 base Camaro (Navel), 350, turbo 700R4, 3.73 posi, Hotchkis TVS system,
Mrs. McGoo's & McGoo Jr.'s toy

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech

I have the full hotchkis tvs setup on my 67. Installed everything and drove it with KYb gas adjust while waiting for the bilstien shocks from hotchkis.

The ride was very firm and little bumps came right into the car. However, once I switched over to the hotchkis shocks, the suspension was still firm but could soak up the smaller bumps and overall the ride and handling improved greatly over the kyb shocks.
Its funny because I rode with the kyb and thought it was great until I got the bilstien shocks in and then i knew how much better it could be.

So, I guess my answer is no, they do not require special shocks but I recommend them or some adjustable ones (like the koni's)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

When I did my springs 10 years ago I went with the Bilsteins from Hotchkiss. They ride firm but do soak up little bumps well. If I was to install shocks today I'd go with Koni 1914's that are adjustable.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 07:55 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
Isn't there a big price diffrence between the two?
I have the Koni Classic adjustible shocks controling my Hotchkis springs and find the ride and handling excellent for the street. They are set to the lightest setting, I tried adjusting them firmer and the ride got harsh on the typical crappy streets here. If used for open track or autocross I can see adjusting them firmer. That's the one big plus over the Bilstien IMO.

I don't know which is the least expensive but I do know Koni and Bilstien are almost twice the cost of KYB and others...

...Dennis

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 09:37 AM
Guess

Go to TireRack.com and put your cars make\model\year in and search on "shocks". You get a list of all that fit and their prices for a comparison.

(If I put a link to TireRack in this reply, it opens up Discount Tire Direct site instead?!?! Wierd man....)

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Do Hotchkis 2" front coil springs require special shocks

If you want a performance shock, go with the Bilstein or the Koni's. If you just want a smooth ride, the Monroes are just fine and a lot cheaper ! Stay away from the KYB gas-a-justs.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

I recommend the Koni Classics as well. DSE has them for $99.00 each. That is the best price I have seen anywhere. They normally go for around $120.00 each.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

I think I'll go with the DSE koni shocks. thanks for the all your help
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 10:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Hotchkis recommend's using the Bilsteins and are tuned for there spring's and TVS system ,but a person can make what decision they think is best for them self. For myself I went with the whole TVS system ,and am very happy with the ride /handling/and feel of the car .Good luck & Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 11:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
I think I'll go with the DSE koni shocks. thanks for the all your help
You won't be disappointed...

...Dennis

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 09, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

I have the Koni from Detroit speed ordered and should arive this Wed! Hope to staert this project tomorrow so expect more question.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 09, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
I have the Koni from Detroit speed ordered and should arive this Wed! Hope to staert this project tomorrow so expect more question.
Great...you will like them..Here is something to put on your screen saver until they arrive.

I set mine on the softest setting and noticed a difference right away. I'm thinking of getting the Hotchkis 2" drop front springs too.....more money

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode