Team Camaro Tech banner

disc brake conversions

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  zdld17 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've had Wilwood's on my 68 with 15" rims for the past 10 years.

Back then Wilwood didn't offer a special package for conversion so I had to use their Dynalite Pro 4-piston calipers for a 12 bolt with separate e-brake calipers. The clearance is fine up front but really tight in the rear, maybe 1/8" at most. Stopping is great even though they aren't the huge brake kits most folks install today.

Fronts are 10.75" rotor #140-2285
Rears are 12" rotor #140-2277

#3 ·
I am running Wilwoods 140-7675 fronts and 140-9560 rears with 18 inch rims on my 68. Same rotor (12.19) size but 4 piston calps instead of the 6 piston in your kit above. I thought I read a while back somewhere that these would not fit 15 inch rims but I am not 100% positive. I would call Wilwood and talk with one of the tech guys. I found them to be very helpful and knowable. I really like the kits and the price was good too. I have the drilled/slotted rotors and red calipers. BTW, the rear kit is for the big ford flanges as that's what I have on my rear end.

#4 ·
Yes, one of the manufacturer's of aftermarket brake kits offers a disc brake kit, 2-wheel and 4-wheel, that will fit with 14" or larger wheels. ...... I don't recall who they are, but they advertise in Super Chevy and Chevy High Performance magazines every month.

#5 ·
I have Wilwoods 4 wheel disc (Dynalite 4 piston calipers) set up with 15" Crager SS wheels. Clearance was tight but they do fit.

Front: 140-2285D
Rear: 140-6293D (has rear parking brake drum feature)

I purchased mine from Dean @ http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/brakescamaro.html

He can sell you a complete package with braided ss hoses, park brake cable kit, clips, bracets, brake fluid etc. Check my link below for some pictures of the install.

#6 ·
OK, I got your answers. They can be found easily on Wilwood's website. If you follow the link that you provided in your initial post, you will see that minimum rims required for your kit are 16 inches (right side, middle of page). Joe's and RJ's 140-2285 kit requires a minimum 15 inch rim. My kit 140-7675 requires a minimum 16 inch rim.

#7 ·
OK, I got your answers. They can be found easily on Wilwood's website. If you follow the link that you provided in your initial post, you will see that minimum rims required for your kit are 16 inches (right side, middle of page). Joe's and RJ's 140-2285 kit requires a minimum 15 inch rim. My kit 140-7675 requires a minimum 16 inch rim.
i did see that but i was just kinda asking around and seeing whats up and i dont really know how to measure the wheel to see what will fix but i think i will have to give wilwood a call

#13 ·
For all you guys that have rear disc brake conversions, Now availiable from Rightstuff or Matts, Just got mine in. Really completes the package.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.