Cpp big brake kit for 68 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cpp big brake kit for 68 camaro

I have a 68 camaro with four drums...looking to put the CPP big brake kit on with all 4 discs.

Its this one: http://www.classicperform.com/NewPro...igBrakeKit.htm

I have done the forum seach...but didnt see anyone who had put it on....I found some complaints about the regular 4disc setup but could have just been mechanics error...wondering if anyone has any info on the company (how are they to deal with?) etc.

Its a $1500 kit plus the drop spindles etc. so we're talkin about $1800

I'm not sure I'm mechanically savvy enough to piece together my own kit from a corvette to save some money...if I did I would need step by step instructions and someone showing me where to buy the parts....if I got that I guess I wouldnt be opposed if it would save some money??

Looking for any help, thoughts , feelings

thanks fellas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 09:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: Cpp big brake kit for 68 camaro

Search on "CPP" and "disc". I did find one post of someone using the big brake kit and drop spindles - you will need to run at least 17 inch wheels or you'll have issues with the tie rods jamming into the rims. I did find a bunch of no so good posts regarding regular CPP setup. If anything, double check on those drop spindles as they are generally big no on here. See this sticky: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=132682. When I did this, I got talked out of them. Most guys here lower the front via springs instead of drop spindles and thatís the route I took. Thatís a lot of $ on brakes youíre about drop. I would check into Wilwood and Bear if youíre gonna drop that kind of coin. I ended up with Wilwood setup. Here is the thread with the details when I redid my entire front/rear suspension https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151501.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Search on "CPP" and "disc". I did find one post of someone using the big brake kit and drop spindles - you will need to run at least 17 inch wheels or you'll have issues with the tie rods jamming into the rims. I did find a bunch of no so good posts regarding regular CPP setup. If anything, double check on those drop spindles as they are generally big no on here. See this sticky: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=132682. When I did this, I got talked out of them. Most guys here lower the front via springs instead of drop spindles and thatís the route I took. Thatís a lot of $ on brakes youíre about drop. I would check into Wilwood and Bear if youíre gonna drop that kind of coin. I ended up with Wilwood setup. Here is the thread with the details when I redid my entire front/rear suspension https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151501.

EXCELLENT...thank you so much...I searched CPP and also found a bunch of "NO GO's" on the regular set-up....didnt know the general concensus was to go with springs over drop spindles.....

I dunno I also see a fella that went with the peiced together C5 kit that was abotu $1050 for the set up with pieces off ebay etc....I dunno if I know what i'm doing enough to piece together a set...

I thought the Wilwood equivalent would be like $2500...If I could get bakc to the $1000 -1200 range with cross drilled rotors and painted calipers I would be happy.....

I have 18" rims already so that isnt an issue and the car will be used primarly for the street...no race tracks etc. here....

again thanks for the input, I would be lost without this site! Its ALREADY been so helpful in this project...

YOu went with a WIlwood setup then?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 09:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

You should be able to find plenty of info here regarding C5 kit as a bunch of guys have installed them. If you commit to the C5 kit spend some time reading and then just post anything that you can't figure out and the guys will help you. My Wilwood (12.3" drilled/slotted rotors and red 4 piston calps) were $900 for the front and $800 for the rears, or somewhere around that. If you go with the 13" and 6 piston calp setup that's when the cost goes through the roof. I got my Wilwoods through Summit as their prices are already the lowest and they will match on anything lower you find. Also, I got their creditCard where there is no interest for 12 months on anything over $200. I love not having to fork out all the $$$ up front and simply pay it off interest free over the next few months. Once again, double, double, double check on the spindles as they have go a lot of us in trouble or better yet, go the spring route. I run 18 inch wheels and each time I am under there I look at my stock spindle and see how close it is to those rims and I grin as I am glad I didn't use the drop spindles. Let me know if you want the Wilwood part numbers I used on my setup and I’ll post them for you.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode