Flaring Tool Mastercool #71300 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Flaring Tool Mastercool #71300

Hello everyone! New guy here.

I'm currently in the process of installing an Aerospace Components master cylinder to complement a drag-race type disk brake kit on my '73 Camaro. I will be making my own stainless steel lines and want to purchase a tool that will work without trouble. I don't anticipate having a need for dies other than those for 3/16 tubing. Does the Mastercool tool part #71300 have everything I should need to get the job done or is there any reason that I would need to get the more expensive kit with all the additional dies? I don't mind spending for a tool that gets professional results but I didn't want to spend unnecessarily. Thank You in advance for any input.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 08:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Re: Flaring Tool Mastercool #71300

$250
I think that is more than enough tool. I was trying to find instructions about the hydraulic component. I used my body shops flare kit and it was a basic kit and it did the job fine.
Practice on some old lines to make sure the flares are even. I did about 3-4 practice runs and then made mine. It was not that difficult. Run hard lines to the rear calipers and avoid the flex lines in the rear.

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 09, 03:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
john

I have it, and it works GREAT! That kit will come with everything you need, unless for some reason you want to do 37 degree double flares (A/N) fittings. Everything I have read states on stainless you should cut it with a cutoff wheel instead of a tubing cutter. A tubing cutter will actually squeeze the tubing in slightly, plus it can leave a slightly rough cut if it isn't completely sharp.... Which will aid in the stainless splitting when you double flare it.

You will find out how many friends you have after you buy that flaring tool....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 09, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed502 View Post
I have it, and it works GREAT! That kit will come with everything you need, unless for some reason you want to do 37 degree double flares (A/N) fittings. Everything I have read states on stainless you should cut it with a cutoff wheel instead of a tubing cutter. A tubing cutter will actually squeeze the tubing in slightly, plus it can leave a slightly rough cut if it isn't completely sharp.... Which will aid in the stainless splitting when you double flare it.

You will find out how many friends you have after you buy that flaring tool....
They make an add on kit to do the 37* flares now.

NEVER argue with a stupid person. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 09, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Here's one for $235

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...le&kw=MAS71300
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 09, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys! I really appreciate the help!

Thanks for that link 1stGen! That's about $50 cheaper than I've found it anywhere else.

-Mike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 09, 03:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaas79 View Post
They make an add on kit to do the 37* flares now.
Bought it..... but it doesn't come in any kind of case, just a bunch of boxes. I contacted Mastercool about a case for the dies, and their response was "No, not available in a case right now"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 09, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemd66 View Post
Run hard lines to the rear calipers and avoid the flex lines in the rear.

One problem with not running flex to the rear calipers is you have to disconnect your lines (re-bleed) to service the bake pads/rotors. With flex you can just move the calipers to change pads and rotors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode