Rebuilding front suspension...recommendations? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 09, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Rebuilding front suspension...recommendations?

I removed the engine, tranny and front clip. Dropped the stock drums, shocks, coil springs and A-arms. I still need to get the steering disconnected and remove the sub-frame. I plan to get the sub-frame blasted and powder coated, along with the A-arms. I would like to hear recommendations for building the entire front suspension back up. Budget is very much an issue and this is not a show or race car...just a fun car. I've already purchased Energy Suspension motor mounts, tranny mount and A-arm bushing kit. I still need everything else. Also, should I make the transition to disc brakes now and if so, what is a good economical complete kit? Remember...budget. Thanks so much!

67 Convertible, LS1, T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 09, 09:40 PM
Senior Tech
Jess

Re: Rebuilding front suspension...recommendations?

My 67 had drums and I found a set of 69 spindles. Bought discs at the parts store as well as calipers. Found old calipers for cores! Got the master cylinder and booster for a 69, bought the hard lines kit for discs from a Camaro restoplace. Bought the little brackets that hold the hoses from the frame. All bolted right in. I had to find the caliper brackets and backing plates... Works great... Look on ebay though or post a wanted ad here as well. They make kits for the swap now and it is getting cheaper and cheaper. I did mine about 7 years ago, when I was on a limited budget, college, had to piece it together.

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 09, 09:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

A good budget front disc system would be off a donor car like a Nova up to 72 I believe. I was going to use just such system on my 68 until I decided to go with a new bigger 4-wheel disc setup.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Regarding disc brakes, lookes like Matt's Classic Bowties has the best price at $475 but is this quality stuff?

For suspension, I understand Hotchkis is high quality but is it the best "bang for your buck" in regards to a complete suspension package? If so, who offers the best pricing? What other complete suspension kits are comprable?

Thanks.

67 Convertible, LS1, T56
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 08:51 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

I bought my kit from there. Still in the process of getting it back together. From what I can tell the kit is a simple bolt in. They have many options on those kits. if your doing the brakes and suspension and the car is already apart I would look at replacing power steer box also. Car will handle better stop and have a nice feel from the steering wheel not lose sloppy feel.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What is the best source for the power steering mod you're talking about?
Can you provide part numbers required?
Thanks!

67 Convertible, LS1, T56
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer7291 View Post
I bought my kit from there. Still in the process of getting it back together. From what I can tell the kit is a simple bolt in. They have many options on those kits. if your doing the brakes and suspension and the car is already apart I would look at replacing power steer box also. Car will handle better stop and have a nice feel from the steering wheel not lose sloppy feel.
To help with quicker steering, also consider a smaller diameter steering wheel. Big difference.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportag03 View Post
What is the best source for the power steering mod you're talking about?
Can you provide part numbers required?
Thanks!
For a good steering upgrade check out this post using a gen III iroc or Z28 steering box:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ng+box+upgrade
Next before you make any suspension decisions read this:
http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_camaros.htm

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 01:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve A.

Send a message via AIM to flat350

Why not just replace the original front end components with Moog parts from the auto parts store , available and fairly budget friendly . If it's in the budget do the brake upgrade now , some of the site sponsors have complete kits available .

Steve

68 work in progress , but I can drive it now - O5D build - 712 trim - 02 color
Think it was a 396 , 4 spd. - now in primer , 350 , 4 spd. , lots of new body and mech. parts
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

flat350, I think that is what I am going to do.
Who offers the most economical brake conversion kit?

67 Convertible, LS1, T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode