Guldstrand or ATS spindal - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 09, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Guldstrand or ATS spindal

From what I understand, in order to correct geometry you can relocate the upper a-arm with the guldstrand mod or go with a tall spindal like the ATS that is around 1.4" taller than a stock spindal. If a person wanted to get the best track performance and could run a 10"+ tire up font what would be the beter choice? I have GW upper and lower arms GW springs.

1968 Camaro.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 06:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Guldstrand or ATS spindal

Review these two threads for a pretty decent discussion of the front end options on a first generation F-body.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62153
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18789

10" tire may be tough. Take a look at CarlC's site (http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/), he's running (IIRC) 285-40's up front now.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 06:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

You have to think about what size wheels you are going to run. If you do the gulstrand mod, you can stay with what you have. If you get the ATS spindle you are limited to what wheels you can run (based on the C5 brakes). A $800 set of spindles can turn into $5000 after wheels and tires pretty quick. I have a set of the spindles and love them.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I believe ATS now make a version of their tall spindles that will fit other than C5 brakes.

There are also tall upper balljoints, those from howe come to mind.

Worth remembering that these or any tall spindle will limit your tire fitment regardless of brakes, the spindles themselves won't fit in a 15 or even 16" wheel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech

you already have your stock spindles- ATS spindles are getting hard to get ahold of.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
you already have your stock spindles- ATS spindles are getting hard to get ahold of.

Is ATS still in business?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 10:13 AM
Rich

ATS was taken over by Speed Tech. Speed Tech now sells the AFX tall spindles.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

I found this and thought I would share it http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ech/index.html

1968 Camaro.....
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Several years ago I test fitted a 17 x 9.5 x 5-3/4"bs Vintage Wheelworks V45 on an ATS spindle with C5 brakes. It fits, barely, so big $ rims are not a necessity.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 06:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: Guldstrand or ATS spindal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Several years ago I test fitted a 17 x 9.5 x 5-3/4"bs Vintage Wheelworks V45 on an ATS spindle with C5 brakes. It fits, barely, so big $ rims are not a necessity.
I agree with you Carl, guess what I was trying to say by the time you buy new wheels, tires and possibly spacers the costs can add up pretty quickly. Anther thing to consider about wheels, if the backspacing isn't their "standard" one, custom backspacing costs drive up the total amount. Didn't those VWW wheels require a spacer?

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I would bet that most folks who do the Guldstrand mod or go to ATS spindles or tall ball joints are also installing larger brakes, which also require larger front wheels. As a result, I'm not sure it's fair to say the entire cost of new wheels and tires is a cost of either the ATS spindles or tall ball joints. And $4,200 for a set of wheels and tires is likely a slight exagerration. You can also spend $5,000 for a suit, but most of us don't.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Costs always add up when there are high-performance changes. We think nothing of dropping $5k in an engine package, but what about spending the same amount on a suspension/brake/wheel package?

I would order a 6" BS rim and adjust with a small spacer. It is much easier to add a spacer than to increase BS.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 09:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

There's so many variations. I have a x-tall UBJ and 12" C4 setup currently using 15" ralley's. I think Driverz Inc has a 17" VWW/Nitto package around $1800 (next step!).

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 09, 11:13 AM
David Pozzi

Here's an issue I ran into on the One Lap Camaro. A pretty tall spacer was requred to bumpsteer the car, aprox 15/16" with a heim joint. I think the backspace is 5.5" on an 8" x 18" wheel. Tyler says spacers can be used to move the tie rod end inboard 1/2" or so. I think you could then squeeze in a 8.5" front wheel. Right now, we have a 255 front tire. If you didn't need to address bumpsteer, it would be a lot easier to fit a wide wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before with spacer.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	12828  

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 09, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Worth remembering that these or any tall spindle will limit your tire fitment regardless of brakes, the spindles themselves won't fit in a 15 or even 16" wheel
Not true. They will fit into a 14" wheel, but no brakes will. SSBC sells a 12" 4 piston caliper for the AFX spindles that fit into the 15x7 factory rally wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
Also not true. Speedtech took over all our inventory and will be filling orders on a same day basis shortly. They have the staff to fill orders quicker than I could by myself at night.

Tyler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode