New Rearend - Multi Leaf Conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

New Rearend - Multi Leaf Conversion

Hi Everyone,

I have a 67 Camaro with a mono leaf setup that I'm looking to convert to multi leaf. I'm looking to get a new Moser 12 bolt which I will order with multi leaf perches. Is there anything else I need to do to the car to do the swap? I was thinking of getting the Hotchkis 2407C as they seem to be a popular choice for people.

If anyone can let me know what else I would need to do I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Re: New Rearend - Multi Leaf Conversion

Perhaps DSE lower shock plates.

" Some like it Hot, I like it Red "... Sammy Hagar
'69 Coupe...Red of course!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thanks, Red Rocker.

I assume you mean these: http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp..._prod_test.htm.

Are these used for swaps? How do I tell which ones I need? If I need them for the swap I want to order them before I start taking it all apart. I know since I have a 67 need non-staggered but do I want inboard or outboard?

Are these what people normally use to perform swaps?

Thanks again for your suggestion.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Someone may be able to answer if they're necessary, but the mono and multi's used different spring eye brackets. That's the part that bolts to the front of the spring and then to the frame. You'll also need a multileaf install kit which will come with all your j-nuts, u-bolts, pads, brackets, rear bushings, etc. The one from D&R Classic works fine. Both of those items will run you around $60 and $90 respectively. You may have to hog out the holes in the spring eye brackets (I did).

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thanks, Steiner.

I've seen a few multileaf conversion kits, I just didn't know if that was if you were keeping your stock rearend or not. Because mine will come with multileaf perches, that's why I was wondering. But it makes sense that I would need all of those other parts as well.

Chris
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

You know, I was only planning on doing this conversion right now because I'm ordering a new rearend and need to choose between mono or multileaf perches. If I already need to order the conversion kit (that I'm assuming comes with perches?) can I just keep the mono setup for now and upgrade to multi at a later date (when I'm not bleeding money!)? What do you guys think?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I don't know if you can get monoleafs to fit correctly in multileaf perches. It'll cost more down the road to get the perches cut off and buy new ones and have them welded on. You can also look into the JC Whitney three leaf springs that work with mono stuff.

However, if your car is like most once you take the stuff apart you may find all of it needs to be replaced anyway. If that's the case then it only makes sense to go ahead and get the multileaf stuff. It always costs more to do it down the road. ALWAYS.

When you order the rear it will come with the perches already installed so you should only need the leafs, multileaf install kit (not conversion kit), the spring eye perches, and the shock plates.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I would have Moser weld in the final (multi) perches for sure. You can get the conversion kit (see link below) that doesn't include perches.
http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=3

Matt

Last edited by zlek131; Feb 22nd, 10 at 08:28 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
I would have Moser weld in the final (mulit) perches for sure. You can get the conversion kit (see link below) that doesn't include perches.
http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=3

Good option, but I'd just like to point out that kit is for '68-'69 and I don't believe the shock plates will not work on a '67 with non-staggered shocks.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Good option, but I'd just like to point out that kit is for '68-'69 and I don't believe the shock plates will not work on a '67 with non-staggered shocks.
True. I would recommend upgrading to staggered shocks at that point in time.

Matt

Last edited by zlek131; Feb 23rd, 10 at 06:27 AM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Upgrading to staggered shocks sounds like more of a project than I really want to take on right at this moment. I assume, Steiner, that the kit you mentioned is for the 67?

What about this kit from Detroit Speed?
http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp...multi_prod.htm

Are these all more or less the same?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro192 View Post
Upgrading to staggered shocks sounds like more of a project than I really want to take on right at this moment. I assume, Steiner, that the kit you mentioned is for the 67?

What about this kit from Detroit Speed?
http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp...multi_prod.htm

Are these all more or less the same?
Maybe I am wrong on this one, but it's the shock plate the only difference between staggered vs. not staggered shock setup?

Matt

Last edited by zlek131; Feb 23rd, 10 at 06:27 AM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Maybe I am wrong on this one, but it's the shock plate the only difference between scattered vs. not scattered shock setup?
I have absolutely no clue! As you can probably tell from my posts, I'm new to most of this. Switching from non-staggered to staggered sounds like a big project. Again, I don't know. Is it that simple? Would it still only involve getting the new springs and conversion kit?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

What that kit does is just essentially make the perch deeper to fit the taller spring pack. The spacers would go on each side of the perch. If you want to save some coin it seems that may be a good way to do it but you wouldn't need to buy that kit until once you decided to install multileafs.

I cannot tell whether or not down the road if your existing spring eye brackets would fit multileaf springs though. Someone else surely knows. The ones they sell now are called "Multileaf spring eye brackets for '67-'69".

If I were you, I'd go ahead and take the rear end out and see what needs to be replaced before you start ordering parts. It's going to chap your hide if you decide to stay monoleaf and then find out that you have to buy the same stuff again when you decide to upgrade to multileaf.

This is just me but when I put in my Moser I did everything....springs, shocks, new brackets, new install kit. Mine was already a multileaf car and a '69 so I can't tell you whether or not your existing shock plates will work with multileaf perches. Also consider that when you upgrade you will most likely need the shock extenders or new shocks since the plate will be mounted further away from the upper shock mount than original.

Give it some time and surely someone who has done a '67 will chime in. Moser ain't gonna run out of rear ends.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Pretty sure it is indeed a very simple swap and you get the benefits of the staggered shocks. Check out the links below for more good info...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160003
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174364
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174169

Matt

Last edited by zlek131; Feb 23rd, 10 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode