New chrome brake booster on a 69? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

New chrome brake booster on a 69?

I have a 69 with an old 11" booster and combination disc/drum proportioning valve. My car is in the body shop, so as I replace things I want to get some new peices. I would like to replace the MC and booster with a new chrome one. If I replace with a 9" dual diaphram or other one. Will it mount in the samae mounting holes? Does the thicker booster make the MC stick out further from the firewall? Will my existing brake lines fit? Or will I have to make new ones? Or am I worried for nothing and it be a striaghtforward swap? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 09:12 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Re: New chrome brake booster on a 69?

What brand(s) are you looking @ replacing with? I put a MBM system on my '67 2 or 3 years ago. fitment was ok but not being a fan of chrome under the hood I would prefer a factory looking zinc/gold looking one, actually would have put a better system on had I known now what I knew then.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan View Post
What brand(s) are you looking @ replacing with? I put a MBM system on my '67 2 or 3 years ago. fitment was ok but not being a fan of chrome under the hood I would prefer a factory looking zinc/gold looking one, actually would have put a better system on had I known now what I knew then.
Well I had seen some on ebay and also looked at the ones at Rick's 1st generation. Just wondering if they mount up to the stock location or not. Also with the stock brakelines will they mount to a dual booster set up or will new ones need to be made? What did you encounter when you did your change toolfan?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 10:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

what other chrome assys do you have under the hood ?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 06:58 PM
Tech Team
Mike

with the MBM setup I had to make/bend new lines for L&R fronts and extend the rear line, at 1st I was not thrilled but after it was done it looks SO much nicer than factory.(car was a non-power/4wh drum to start) As far as fitment goes it all bolted up perfect. As far as other chrome accessories -- NONE. I have a "less is better" theme -- sheetmetal satin black, v.c's, air cleaner, timing cover black crinckle coat(like it or not it's my car w/ my own personal style).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I'm using the "Tuff Stuff" chrome 7" booster and master from Summit.

I mounted it straight onto the firewall instead of using the angled bracket.

It bolted on by just enlarging one of the holes, but I had to make new lines from the master to the prop valve.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
what other chrome assys do you have under the hood ?
Polished valve covers, polished intake, chrome air cleaner cover, March mid mount serp. conversion, polished aluminum radiator. In the body shop now, so want to upgrade as I put back together.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ430DropTop67RS View Post
I'm using the "Tuff Stuff" chrome 7" booster and master from Summit.

I mounted it straight onto the firewall instead of using the angled bracket.

It bolted on by just enlarging one of the holes, but I had to make new lines from the master to the prop valve.

Nice set up with the detriot wiper motor also.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 10:57 AM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

We do sell the Right Stuff chrome booster kits as well but we have a complete prebent brake hardline kit that will plumb into the new prop valve.

The right way to do the upgrade is Booster/Master/Prop combo with all new hardlines, if your lines are orig. its a GREAT time to chuck them! Brake fluid attracts moisture which plugs up the original lines over time!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

My lines are not the originals. I replaced them with the two piece lines from Right Stuff about 2 years ago. I guess I ment the stock length lines. I also am using the combo valve like ZZ430.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 11:00 AM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

You can't use the stock type disc brake hardlines with the aftermarket prop. Sometimes the front to rear will work but not the two front hardlines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode